This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Troubles with playing WavPack audio

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
ocirne94
Registered Member
OS

Troubles with playing WavPack audio

Wed May 21, 2014 6:52 pm
Hi all,
I have some WavPack audio files (.wv) and I don't manage to play them using either Amarok (2.8.0) or Kaffeine (1.2.2).
With Kaffeine I get no sound at all, Amarok instead plays a very distorted version of the track.
I've tried with VLC, Dragon Player and MPlayer and they all work fine.
Kubuntu 14.04, HDA Intel 82801JI (internal) sound card, GStreamer 4.7.2.
Can you help me?
Thank you in advance for your time,
Ocirne
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Do you have any additional scripts or Replay Gain activated in Amarok? That could cause some problems, but if it plays in Dragonplayer there is no reason it shouldn't play in Amarok.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
ocirne94
Registered Member
OS
Hi, thank you for your answer.
Sorry, I have mixed the programs' names: Dragon gives the same output as Amarok (terribly distorted and noisy).
I don't have any such thing activated in Amarok.
Thank you
Ocirne
google01103
Manager
try switching to the phonon vlc backend and restart KDE, guessing you're missing a gstreamer package possibly gstreamer-plugins-bad or maybe gstreamer-plugins-good, whichever provides libgstwavpack.so

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

ocirne94
Registered Member
OS
Hi, thank you for your suggestion!
That did the trick for Dragon and Amarok, but in Kaffeine it's still total silence.
Ocirne
Mamarok
Manager
OS
ocirne94 wrote:Hi, thank you for your suggestion!
That did the trick for Dragon and Amarok, but in Kaffeine it's still total silence.
Ocirne

What exactly did the trick? Adding the missing codecs or changing the Phonon backend?

As for Kaffeine: apparently they don't use Phonon, else the same trick would have worked as well. Can't help with that, sorry.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
google01103
Manager

Sun May 25, 2014 3:02 pm
Kaffeine use Xine for playback

these are the Xine packages I have installed, your distro may have diff names or require added xine packages:
    libxine2-codecs-1.2.5-90.5.x86_64
    libxine2-1.2.5-90.5.x86_64
    libxine2-pulse-1.2.5-90.5.x86_64

some distros (Mageia, Rosa) seem to have an xine-wavpack package

note: I created a wv file and could not get Kaffeine to play it, this might help with Kubuntu http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1482558

ocirne94
Registered Member
OS
Hi,
the solution for Amarock and Dragon was switching to VLC backend.

Unfortunately, with Kaffeine I'm still stuck. I've got the library called xineplug_wavpack.so (found within Mageia's package), and I have placed it inside the relevant directories.
Calling Kaffeine from command line I get (apart from several (demux_wv_send_chunk:223) lines):

Code: Select all
demux_wavpack: (xine_input_push_back_byte:86) xine_input_push_back_byte: unable to seek.
demux_wavpack: (open_wv_file:150) number of samples: 6923700
demux_wavpack: (open_wv_file:152) samplerate: 44100 Hz
demux_wavpack: (open_wv_file:155) bits_per_sample: 24
demux_wavpack: (open_wv_file:159) channels: 2
assert: audio_pulse_out.c:407: ao_pulse_open: Assertion `!"Should not be reached"' failed.

So it manages to analyze the file, and it even moves the time cursor. But no sound is heard.
Any tips?
Thanks
Ocirne
google01103
Manager
just copying Mageia's .so file may not be enough as the associated libraries may be different/incompatible

seems that the problem is related to the Xine libraries so you might:
- search/ask on their site, forum, mailing as to why wavpack not playing or installed by default in Linux
- try compiling xine from the source, searching the source I see wavpack headers so I don't know if there a compile switch that needs to be enabled or what, probably --with-wavpack per an Arch posting
- ask the Mageia packager (if you can find them) why there's a separate package and how to compile and install it
- ask the packager on your distro if they know

ps - ask your distro's Xine packager to enable wavpack (assuming it's just a compilation switch), probably post as a bug report for Xine