This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to turn off separate volume streams in KMix?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
ahameer
Registered Member
Hi, this question has probably been asked before, but my searches haven't turned up anything useful, so I guess I'm just using the wrong keywords.

I would like to turn off the separation of volume streams in KMix so that I can just have one master stream that controls everything. How would I go about doing that?
google01103
Manager

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

ahameer
Registered Member
Veromix still had separate volume streams and my volume up and down shortcut keys didn't seem to work at all. I guess what I would really like is to be able to have the volume keys adjust the volume of every playback stream instead of just the one that's set as master; then I could still adjust the per-application streams if I really wanted to. Is there an easy way to do this from the command line so that I could just bind that to the shortcut keys?
google01103
Manager
in Veromix settings you need to set the volume keyboard shortcuts, by default they are not set

Veromix adjusts the individual streams when you adjust the master, is that not what you want?

ahameer
Registered Member
That is exactly what I want, but it didn't seem to work like that. I set the shortcut keys right away, but none of them seemed to have any effect.
google01103
Manager
just set and tested it and it worked for me, didn't seem to at first try but then an osd window popped with the vol % being decreased. if master volume is already @ max % the up vol key doesn't do anything.

ahameer
Registered Member
Hm, how did you set it up? The plasmoid in the link you provided couldn't be installed for some reason, so I installed plasma-widget-veromix from the repo instead. Then I added the widget to my desktop (it crashed when I tried to add it to the taskbar) and set the volume keys in the settings for the widget. Did I do something wrong?
google01103
Manager
the link I provided was for descriptive purposes, imo you're better off using your distros packages if they are available and current

I did what you did using the alt+up and alt+down keys, try closing Kmix maybe there's a conflict (?)

I was able to add to the bottom panel

fyi you can enable veromix in the system tray with system tray setting -> entries -> veromix

ahameer
Registered Member
After reinstalling it I was able to add it to the bottom panel (and then to the system tray instead). The problem seems to be that my volume shortcut keys aren't sticking, no matter what I set them to. When I change the shortcuts the Apply button at the bottom remains gray, and after clicking OK and then reopening the Veromix settings my shortcuts are gone. (I also tried navigating to another settings section and changing something so that I could click Apply, but same result.)

Edit: Looking again, it actually seems that none of my changes to the settings are actually being applied.
google01103
Manager
look in ~/.kde[4]/share/config/kglobalshortcutsrc that's where the widget should have added the shortcuts, you could try adding by hand

this is what's in my file in the section titled: [plasma-desktop]
Code: Select all
Systemtray-Klipper-78=,Ctrl+Alt+V,
VeromixVolumeDown=Alt+Down,none,Veromix volume down
VeromixVolumeMute=none,none,Veromix toggle mute
VeromixVolumeUp=Alt+Up,none,Veromix volume up
_k_friendly_name=Plasma Desktop Shell

ahameer
Registered Member
Thanks! I used the global shortcuts editor in system settings and that seems to have done the trick. Do you know where Veromix stores its own settings? Since nothing I actually enter in the settings menu seems to be sticking, I wanted to try editing the settings there instead.
google01103
Manager
very strange that your settings are not being saved, is this the only widget with the issue?

Veromix config settings are in ~/.kde4/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc but iirc you need to kquitapp plasma-desktop, edit the file and then restart plasma-desktop

ahameer
Registered Member
I can't seem to find any settings for Veromix in that file at all, so I guess they're not being written for some reason? Yes, Veromix is the only widget with that problem.
google01103
Manager
no ideas - I'd uninstall it, restart KDE and then re-install

what version are you running? I have 0.18.3

on their issues page I see no reported bug similar

maybe ask if others on you distro's forum have seen the issue

ahameer
Registered Member
Well... it looks like I unintentionally broke something that ended up sort of fixing my problem. I was playing with the settings for my audio streams in Veromix and set the source for my HDMI output as off, which apparently made my system think that the HDMI output was unplugged so that it wouldn't play any sound at all. After restarting my computer it sort of recognizes the built-in HDMI output again, but in some places it still says something about DisplayPort3 being unplugged. Anyway, the playback volume in Chrome now seems to be tied to my main audio stream as well as its own separate playback stream (as in, lowering the volume for the master stream makes the output from Chrome quieter even though the volume of its own stream doesn't change) even after I uninstalled Veromix and gave the keyboard shortcuts back to KMix, so at least I can control it with my keyboard now! Hopefully this HDMI unplugged thing won't cause me problems in the future, though...