This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

no sound in fresh kde install

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
2handband
Registered Member
OS

no sound in fresh kde install

Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:20 pm
I just installed Funtoo, and I have no sound. My soundcard is detected and shows up in the multimedia section of system settings but... no sound. Everything is unmuted in kmix, and I am using the VLC phonon backend. Can anyone advise? I have been using KDE 4.x on this box for five or six years and never had a problem with sound before.

Mamarok
Manager
OS

Re: no sound in fresh kde install

Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:55 pm
To be honest I don't even know what Funtoo is...
could you please be a tad more detailed about your setup: exact KDE release version, do you use Pulseaudio (recommended), did you check alsamixer that nothing is muted? Also which exact application did you use to test if there is sound? The Phonon backend is secondary for now, if the general sound doesn't work alsamixer the first thing to check

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
2handband
Registered Member
OS

Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:39 pm
Funtoo is a fork of Gentoo that mostly uses Gentoo repos. KDE is 4.14.3. I don't use Pulseaudio but will install it if that will help (although I have no idea how to set it up). I've run the alsamixer and nothing is muted. My user is a member of the audio group. I've tested sound with Clementine, VLC, and Flashplayer.

2handband
Registered Member
OS

Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:47 pm
I've installed pulseaudio and am trying to figure out how to configure it. It added a pulseaudio server device in system settings -> multimedia, reduced the number of channels in kmix... and I still have no sound. All the levels are up and unmuted when I run alsamixer btw.

2handband
Registered Member
OS

Re: no sound in fresh kde install  Topic is solved

Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:11 am
Fixed. Entered following in /etc/pulse/default.pa:

load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:0,0
load-module module-alsa-source device=hw:1,0