This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

No playback sound

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
rsupremo
Registered Member
OS

No playback sound

Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:22 pm
I a have fresh installation of Arch Linux with just alsa 1.0.28 and 4.14.3 KDE (please disregard the info in my signature for this post).
I tried playing sound in google chrome and Amarok - with no effect.

Interestingly enough when I go to Audio & Video settings (Phonon settings, I assume)-> Device preference tab and if I run test in audio playback section it plays without problems. Same goes for speaker test which plays white noise. However when I go to Audio Hardware Setup tab and try to press buttons Front Left or Front right in Speaker placement and settings section then I hear no sound.

I tried plugin in headphones into laptop and still without sound. I also tried installing PulseAudio but without any effect.

However I do not know how to set Amarok and chrome (and I presume this applies for rest of the applications as well) to output sounds in the place where it can be heard. Also I do not see these apps in Kmix.

What do I need to configure and how?

openSUSE 13.2, KDE 4.14.2
Arch Linux, KDE 4.14.7
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Re: No playback sound

Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:29 am
well, install Pulseaudio, it should be default on Archlinux. As soon as you try to run non-default setups you should be ready for things not to work :)

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
richardtullberg
Registered Member

Fri May 29, 2015 4:37 pm
I have had this problem for over a week now and every topic about "Missing Audio Hardware Tab" have been tested. I even tried starting up the live cd and checking that it wasnt anything that went wrong while installing the dist but even there its missing the "Audio Hardware Tab"

I have Puleaudio installed, and according to both terminal commands and Cadence its very much running.

What can I do to fix this problem? Cant use any other but the internal speakers. Never had these problems on Ubuntu but wanted to move to kde for the pulse/Alsa support while programing.

Can remove this post, for somereason it wasnt the same post I was reading that it wanted to post to
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Fri May 29, 2015 4:54 pm
As in the other thread, Richard, please be more precise about your distribution, KDE release version and sound setup. In particular which application do you have no sound output with, which phonon backend you use, etc.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...