This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Veromix not starting up correctly

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
gfurst
Registered Member
OS

Veromix not starting up correctly

Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:14 pm
Hello folks.
For a long time I've wanted to switch up the default KDE Kmixer to Veromix for a very simple reason: I have two audio devices, the HD onboard one plugged to external speakers, and the Graphics card one, outputs to my screen.
Now the screen one is obviously much lower quality and in some cases I do prefer to use it instead. Veromix helps on the task on switching apps and devices, instead of need to open the Pulseaudio volume controller thingy.

My issue is that, after setting up the Veromix plasmoid in any way, it works ok, but after starting up the PC again, a fresh boot, the plasmoid is empty and doesn't recognize any devices.
This is a known issue, it seems that the plasmoid starts up before the Veromix service is able to connect to the Pulseaudio server, as reported in these two instances:
https://code.google.com/p/veromix-plasm ... /Debugging
https://code.google.com/p/veromix-plasm ... 20Modified

Now I've attempted the fix mentioned on the wiki, service auto-starting in some way, it does not solve the issue.
And if you check the issue tracker, it has been opened on Dec 2013, there doesn't seem to be any activity in development of the widget.

Just wondering if anybody out there found a work around this issue. For me, I have to always logout and login for plasmoid to work, or doind a suspend to RAM instead shutting down.
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Re: Veromix not starting up correctly

Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:27 am
Which KDE version do you use? The Veromix plasmoid works quite fine here on KDE 4 14.2 with Kubuntu 14.10

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
gfurst
Registered Member
OS
Forgot to post, from my kinfocenter:
Kernel: 3.16.0-4 amd64
KDE SC: 4.14.2

This seems to not affect everyone, as mentioned in the bug tracker, it only happens on his faster PC.
Mine too, its quite fast, it has some sort of quick boot property, usually I'm already on the desktop in less than a minute.
Built this PC around halfway last year.
What the other user hinted, is that Veromix start up too fast before it is able to connect with Pulseaudio.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Well, I have an i7 Quadcore here with an SSD and it starts very fast, I see no problem at all.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
gfurst
Registered Member
OS

Re: Veromix not starting up correctly

Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:54 pm
Well then this is an oddity, but surely I'm not the only one affected. What could I do then?
ps: its seems the plasmoid only works after the second login, this causes the veromix-service to be started twice( there two concurrent processes of the veromix-service).
gfurst
Registered Member
OS
Heys guys, just bumping if there was any news from this from the frontlines?
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Do you still see that problem? Weird, I have the plasmoid running permanently on my system and have no issues. Maybe file a bug for the applet and ask the author?

gfurst
Registered Member
OS
Mamarok wrote:Do you still see that problem? Weird, I have the plasmoid running permanently on my system and have no issues. Maybe file a bug for the applet and ask the author?

Yeah, I had pretty much given up last time, and now upon tweaking some thing son the desktop tried yet again.
You mean this being the project page right? http://code.google.com/p/veromix-plasmoid/
Unfortunately it seems there barely any activity there.
I've noticed something though, when restarting the widget I do need to kill the existing process or it won't work.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
very weird, I never had to kill anything. Maybe report this to your distribution, could be there is some inconsistency on their side?

gfurst
Registered Member
OS
Mamarok wrote:very weird, I never had to kill anything. Maybe report this to your distribution, could be there is some inconsistency on their side?

Debian? I think its unlikely. Besides being a bit 'old' on software updates, most things work well as in any other dist.

I suspect its something to do with the load order of things, I think it works like this:
Veromix applet -> veromix py service -> pulseaudio
The first having to wait for the next to be available, so in my case the service isn't connecting to pulseaudio, so it doesn't matter if I restart the applet, I have to kill the service first for it to connect properly.
Exact description of the issue by another user, there are other similar issues too.
The question is, can I do something about it on my end? Maybe change load order of things?