This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

missing 'Audio Hardware Setup' tab for Phonon

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
jack_sprat
Registered Member
Hi,

I'm trying to fix various problems with audio playback under KDE 4.14.4 (OpenSuse 13.2 i586 - Alsa 1.0.28-6.1.4-i586 - PulseAudio 5.0-4.15.1-i586); trawling the web for for possible solutions has produced a number of possibilities that involve editing configuration on Audio Hardware Setup tab (System Settings > Multimedia>Audio & Video settings).
The problem is: I don't have that tab, just 'Device preference' and 'Backend'.
Can anyone tell me:
[list=]
[*]why it's missing?
[*]how I might get it?
[*]any workarounds for accessing the same functions?
[/list]

Maybe once I've negotiated this hurdle, I can tackle the actual problems: only 'headphone' slider controls volume, 'speaker' slider does nothing (in KMix, Alamixer, pavcontrol), and, if PulseAudio is enabled, unplugging headphones disables sound, as outport port changes to 'speaker' rather than 'analog output'.

best wishes - JS
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Did you change anything in the default installation? In particular, did you change anything to the default Pulseaudio installation?

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
jack_sprat
Registered Member
Mamorok, hi.

sorry for delay, higher priority issues came to the fore.

I don't believe I have changed the configuration since upgrading to OpenSuse 13.2 (KDE 4.14)

the only active setting in /etc/pulse/client.conf is: autospawn = yes

/var/logs/messages reveals (once per session) notifications like:
Code: Select all
2015-03-02T22:13:33.948103+00:00 shrek pulseaudio[3046]: [pulseaudio] bluez5-util.c: GetManagedObjects() failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: Rejected send message, 2 matched rules; type="method_call", sender=":1.28" (uid=1000 pid=3046 comm="/usr/bin/pulseaudio --start --log-target=syslog ") interface="org.freedesktop.DBus.ObjectManager" member="GetManagedObjects" error name="(unset)" requested_reply="0" destination="org.bluez" (uid=0 pid=2175 comm="/usr/lib/bluetooth/bluetoothd ")

currently I get 'no adaptors found' on the bluetooth system tray widget, although the service is enabled and active.... and when I switch off Bluetooth using hardware switch, bluetooth crashes

best wishes - Jeremy
google01103
Manager
if you create another user does that user have the tab?

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
jack_sprat wrote:the only active setting in /etc/pulse/client.conf is: autospawn = yes

You should not have "autospawn = yes" there, I think that could cause problems (not sure whether it can cause problems like you experience though).
So comment that line out by adding a ';' in front of it.

And check whether your login session is correctly registered with logind, otherwise you/pulseaudio won't have the necessary permissions to access the audio device.
Code: Select all
loginctl

The message you posted might be the reason for your problem too. But I have no idea how to fix that or what it could mean.
Maybe try to uninstall bluez as a test?
Or maybe try to uninstall pulseaudio-module-bluetooth...

And another thing:
Verify that PulseAudio is actually enabled in YaST->Hardware->Sound->Other->PulseAudio Configuration. If it is try to disable it, and then enable it again.
richardtullberg
Registered Member
I have had this problem for over a week now and every topic about "Missing Audio Hardware Tab" have been tested. I even tried starting up the live cd and checking that it wasnt anything that went wrong while installing the dist but even there its missing the "Audio Hardware Tab"

I have Puleaudio installed, and according to both terminal commands and Cadence its very much running.

What can I do to fix this problem? Cant use any other but the internal speakers. Never had these problems on Ubuntu but wanted to move to kde for the pulse/Alsa support while programing.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
richardtullberg wrote:What can I do to fix this problem? Cant use any other but the internal speakers. Never had these problems on Ubuntu but wanted to move to kde for the pulse/Alsa support while programing.

Which distribution and KDE release do you use currently? Please be more specific about your setup.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...