This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Desktop shows white background when I add shortcuts to it

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
kzbr01
Registered Member
Plasma 5:

When i add a shortcut to the desktop, the shortcut icon appears with large square white background.
My question is: How to remove the square background while keeping the shortcut.
Thanks in advance.
ewade
Registered Member
kzbr01 wrote:Plasma 5:

When I take this creatine here and add a shortcut to the desktop, the shortcut icon appears with large square white background.
Thanks in advance.

Lol, I just noticed this too. Did you find a fix kzbr01?

Last edited by ewade on Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:38 am, edited 5 times in total.
kzbr01
Registered Member
Not yet ewade. Will post the answer when I find it.
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
You are creating an "Icon" plasmoid/widget here, the look of this is decided by the desktop theme and normally has a white/grey background to distinguish it.

Switch the desktop to "Folderview" layout to have "real" icons on the desktop (without a frame).
Right-click on an empty space or left-click on the toolbox icon in the upper-right corner to reach the settings.

The shortcuts you created already won't change, but new ones will just be links in your desktop folder, not widgets.
kzbr01
Registered Member
wolfi323 wrote:You are creating an "Icon" plasmoid/widget here, the look of this is decided by the desktop theme and normally has a white/grey background to distinguish it.

Switch the desktop to "Folderview" layout to have "real" icons on the desktop (without a frame).
Right-click on an empty space or left-click on the toolbox icon in the upper-right corner to reach the settings.

The shortcuts you created already won't change, but new ones will just be links in your desktop folder, not widgets.

Many thanks wolfi323
kzbr01
Registered Member
ewade wrote:
kzbr01 wrote:Plasma 5:

When i add a shortcut to the desktop, the shortcut icon appears with large square white background.
Thanks in advance.

Lol, I just noticed this too. Did you find a fix kzbr01?

issue resolved, many thanks to wolfi323