This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Soundkonverter replaygain tool m4a issue

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
seeker5528
Registered Member
I have been using easymp3gain to add replaygain tags to my music, but it has now been removed from Debian unstable. So taking time while it is still a viable option to explore other options.

At this point it looks like it will be between using vorbisgain and aacgain from the command line and using the replaygain tool in Soundkonverter.

For ogg vorbis and mp3 files I have no issues.

With m4a files I see question marks in the track and album gain columns. If I choose the option to force recalculation and click 'tag untagged' it looks like it is doing the job, but still shows question marks.

Easymp3gain shows that the tags are there.

Anybody else see this behavior?

My system is Debian unstable,
About Sounkonverter reports version 2.2.2 KDE 4.14.23.
Aacgain is 1.9.0

Later, Seeker
seeker5528
Registered Member
Ran aacgain at the command line.

aacgain -s c *

first on an album of m4a files that had replaygain tags, then found some that didn't so I knew what I was looking at.

Using the soundkonverter replaygain tool to tag the untagged files, then checking with aacgain, no replaygain tags were added.

Doing it again, but checking the box to force recalculation before clicking 'tag untagged', still shows question marks, but aacgain shows the tags are there.

Later, Seeker
seeker5528
Registered Member
Just a follow up.

Thought about filing a bug report, but aacgain looks orphaned to me.

Gstreamer is able to calculate replaygain for anything it can play. Started looking for MP3 and M4A files that have undo inromation. If there is replaygain undo information than some tool along the way did something I didn't want.

Ex Falso uses gstreamer to calculate the gain, for all formats the have the tagging support. WMA not supported for replaygain due to limits in it's tagging spec.

In Debian, Ex Falso is available on it's own, in Windows had to install Quod Libet to get Ex Falso.

Debian is my main system, but the music that goes on my phone also goes on a laptop that runs Windows.

Phone is the main reason for wanting replaygain, but now that I have some music on the laptop I have installed the Windows version of Amarok since that is what I normally use in Debian.

Later, Seeker