This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Broken speakers, headphone detection fails, capture volume

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Sudhir Khanger
Registered Member
OS
Hi,

I am having problems on so many levels.

1. Speakers seems to be broken from what I can see. The sounds is broken. I only hear noise. I suppose this has to do with Dell and I am getting in touch with them.

2. The headphone detection is broken. I hear a blip when I connect my headphone. Sometimes the headphones don't work it continues to play sound from the speakers. Sometimes no sound is played. Killing pulseaudio doesn't help. I have to restart the session to get the sound.

3. The capture volume is going up and down on its own. I was in a video call it started going up on its own. Giving the other person extreme noise which can be a health hazard.

I am not sure if this is a Fedora problem or a KDE problem. Please guide.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
How about you give a few more details about your setup (distro and plasma versions), then check pulseaudio with pavucontrol to see if anything is wrong there. The next layer would be alsa to check nothing is muted there.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
Sudhir Khanger
Registered Member
OS
Mamarok wrote:How about you give a few more details about your setup (distro and plasma versions), then check pulseaudio with pavucontrol to see if anything is wrong there. The next layer would be alsa to check nothing is muted there.

I am on Plasma 5.8.6, Frameworks 5.31, pulseaudio-10.0-2.fc25.x86_64, and Fedora 25.

Sometimes no music through speakers or headphones. Sometimes only speakers work and headphone is not detected. Killing pulseaudio doesn't do anything. Only restarting session works. I tried changing settings in pavucontrol and also in the audio volume settings and I can't reach to any conclusion.

I am very worried about the capture device volume automatically changing and sometimes when I am in call. It physically hurts people on the other side and my business calls get screwed up when this happens.
toad
Global Moderator
OS
I recently had a bug in pulseaudio which reset the volume. Trick was to edit /etc/pulse/daemon.conf and set flat-volumes to "no".

HTH :)

Debian testing
Sudhir Khanger
Registered Member
OS
toad wrote:I recently had a bug in pulseaudio which reset the volume. Trick was to edit /etc/pulse/daemon.conf and set flat-volumes to "no".

HTH :)

When you say resets the volume does it mean that it when you set it to some value it would go back to some other default value on say session restart or pulseaudio restart.

Earlier today I saw the capture volume going up on its own which is very terrifying. Can flat-volumes do that?

From my reading see that flat-volume will set the system's sound to as much as the sound of the loudest app. If I disable flat-volume then system volume and app volume will all act separately.
toad
Global Moderator
OS
With me the playback volume shot up to 100% which damaged both my ears and my speakers...

Debian testing
Sudhir Khanger
Registered Member
OS
toad wrote:With me the playback volume shot up to 100% which damaged both my ears and my speakers...

I suppose it has no effect on capture volume. I just talked to someone in #fedora-kde irc and in fedora flat-volumes are already disabled.
Sudhir Khanger
Registered Member
OS
Hi,

Some more findings.

* Zoom, the video conferencing tool we use at work, has a setting which changes the capture volume. I suppose it was the app which was making capture volume up an down. I am still not sure why the people on the other side were so angry with the noise. I recorded the Zoom session and it wasn't bad.

If I use high capture volume with Kamoso the of course the audio is super bad. I suppose Zoom somehow manages that.

* The headphone detection is still broken especially with the microphone. I think the microphone remains the internal one and it doesn't switch to the headset one.