This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Audio seems to break after updates?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
wildflag
Registered Member

Audio seems to break after updates?

Thu May 18, 2017 4:37 am
Running Kubuntu 16.04.2 LTS. A few weeks ago, one of the ears of my headphones stopped working. I was only getting sound in one ear. I messed around with alsamixer in the terminal then installed Pavucontrol. A reboot later and sound in both ears were restored.

I just updated tonight and this time lost sound on the right ear :/ Played around with alsamixer and pavucontrol and rebooted to no avail :/ It's really annoying to lose sound after each update. Is this a known bug?? Is there a patch/fix?

I would try the steps here but I am using KDE https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Sound ... gProcedure
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Sound doesn't depend on the platform you are using, so alsamixer and pavucontrol are certainly correct steps, but since Pulseaudio and pavucontrol are integrated into KDE sound, why not just check the Multimedia sound settings in the KDE System Settings? I think accidental channel muting in alsa has not happened in years, unless done so by the user, so alsamixer will only go so far. Rebooting is also rarely needed, the only thing that might be needed is logging out and back in again on your plasma platform..

FWIW: always exclude a hardware problem first, losing sound in one ear on headphones could well be a hardware issue as well.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
delenacris
Registered Member
Also search for the VendorID (for example: 8086) and DeviceID (for example: a170) of the audio card in Cateee.net to see which Linux kernel versions support that audio card's VendorID-DeviceID.
i hope you success in this problem.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
delenacris wrote:Also search for the VendorID (for example: 8086) and DeviceID (for example: a170) of the audio card in Cateee.net to see which Linux kernel versions support that audio card's VendorID-DeviceID.

Oh come on, did you read the actual description of the users problem correctly? It worked before, so I very much doubt this is a kernel issue with the hardware, Linux usually doesn't disable hardware on updates.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
delenacris
Registered Member
Mamarok wrote:
delenacris wrote:Also search for the VendorID (for example: 8086) and DeviceID (for example: a170) of the audio card in Cateee.net to see which Linux kernel versions support that audio card's VendorID-DeviceID.

Oh come on, did you read the actual description of the users problem correctly? It worked before, so I very much doubt this is a kernel issue with the hardware, Linux usually doesn't disable hardware on updates.

Thanks for answer . i'll see again. Thanks manager.