This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Spectacle Feature Request

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
zengin
Registered Member

Spectacle Feature Request

Wed May 31, 2017 1:37 pm
Hi everyone,

I have a request for Spectacle that would be useful.
Before sharing it with the developers, I thought it's better to discuss it here in the forum.

How about we have some buttons in Spectacle to manipulate the image in the basic level.
Like, adding some free hand lines, highlighting an area or circle the important point of the screenshot.

Here is a mockup image of the idea with the toolbar from Okular:

Is this doable with a little effort?
Or needs ton load of work?
Let's discuss.
airdrik
Registered Member
OS

Re: Spectacle Feature Request

Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:07 pm
I'd think it should be doable. I believe the current workflow is to take the screenshot and then export it to a dedicated image editor; but I like the idea that you can make a small set of edits to the screenshot right within the tool instead of having to go to another tool just to add simple boxes, ellipses, highlights or text.

I'd recommend moving/reposting this in the Brainstorm forum which is for feature requests such as this where you want to garner feedback and gauge interest before submitting it for development.

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
karl@xtronics.com
Registered Member

Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:21 pm
There are several features missing from spectacle that I miss from ksnapshot.

1 - numerically incremented saves - the saved file already has the date..
2 - a sane rectangular selection - The GUI has gone backward - many more mouse-clicks to do the same job.
3- It should install a sane keyboard shortcut (prtscn )

The OCR bit doesn't work anymore - could be just a setup problem

There are many times one wants to take a screenshot - OCR it to the clipboard without having to go though a gui etc...
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:35 am
How about submitting those to the correct section, aka KDE Brainstorm. And remember, one item per request, do not ask for several features in one.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...