This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Microphone on Bluetooth headphones not working.

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
cdysthe-neon
Registered Member
OS
Hi,

I am using a pair of Mee Audio Matrix 3 with my KDE Neon deskop on a Thinkpad laptop. It pairs and connects really fast but I can not get the built in microphone to work at all. There are two modes for the connection High Fidelity and Headset. Both works except for the microphone not being used in either. When in High Fidelity I can place Skype calls, but the internal microphone on the laptop is used, not the built in one. When in Headset mode the microphone still isn't used regardless of how I set it in Audio and Video settings. The Audio and Video settings are very complex so maybe I am missing a way to get this to work, but unless it remembers settings so I can hook up and go I can't use it as my daily headphone with KDE Neon. If someone has suggestions on how I can get the built in microphone to work under Bluetooth it would be great. Bluetooth on Linux has always been flaky but has gotten much better over last couple of years so I am hoping I can get my headphones to work like they do on my phone. But right now that is not the case.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
So do I understand correctly, you have a problem with a hardware device not working in proprietary software? Because Skype is not Free software, so maybe try to use it with a Free Software application just to exclude it is not a software issue?

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
abhishekroy
Registered Member
I am getting same error.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
abhishekroy wrote:I am getting same error.

right, and that would be what exactly?

We would need a bit more specifics about your system, distribution and hardware as well as which actuall application you are using to test your gear.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
jonmoore
Registered Member
OS
Please forgive me if replying to this thread is reviving an old thread, but seeing as it's around 2 months since last reply and I have similar issues, I trust it's acceptable (mods are welcome to remove if this isn't correct etiquette)

I'm running Neon 5.13 on a Thinkpad x220 with upgraded wireless/BT board and custom firmware.

I'm using a Sony SBH50 wireless headset for audio output (successfully), but I'm not seeing the option in neither the Plasma sound panel nor the Phonon Audio Recording control panels, only the default (built in) mic is displayed.

Is there a method for adding support for the wireless mic (through A2DP?) to allow for both input and output? I'm not seeing the BT input as an option in Skype either (although I am assuming if I am able to add it as a system option this will push those options across all applications)

Forgive any brevity to this message, I am fairly new to using Linux as a daily driver so not savvy with various terminal level input.

Thanks
jeroenvlek
Registered Member
I have the same problem: KDE doesn't recognize that my Bose Quiet Comfort mk2 has a microphone. So the sound goes via het headset, but the microphone goes via my laptop.

My Lenovo Thinkpad T550 runs Arch Linux:

Operating System: Arch Linux
KDE Plasma Version: 5.14.2
Qt Version: 5.11.2
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.51.0
Kernel Version: 4.18.16-arch1-1-ARCH
OS Type: 64-bit
Processors: 4 × Intel® Core™ i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz
Memory: 15.4 GiB of RAM
842Mono
Registered Member
Same issue. Bose QC35II. Bluetooth mic is not being used.

I'm on KDE neon.
pumalbust
Registered Member
Experiencing the same on KDE Neon,
Sennheiser BT4.50 NC with either Lenovo ThinkPad T430 or T460.
Audio output works properly but mic doesn't appear as input/recording device.
pumalbust
Registered Member
Update: I installed blueman with all its dependencies, once paired my headset as headset device, but it was all messed up, so decided to remove (only blueman).
After this I paired again and it paired again as headset, with mic working.
I am now also able to switch it to work as hq audio device. Not sure if this really wasn't available before the installation, but as I remember I couldn't switch it.
maisafie
Registered Member
A possible problem with the bluetooth devices could be that they are not propersly set as Headset unit but rather as a playback one.
You can find this in the headset profile: (Audio volume settings -> Advanced), Bluetooth device profile -> Device name.
pumalbust
Registered Member
Yep, I expected this setting would be by hand :) finally I wrote this to toggle it from console (you'll need to adapt for your device):
(I wanted to configure a toggle button widget that's why I used exit codes for status, but the widget didn't work for some reason)
UPDATE: it started to work with Configurable Button widget. The trick was to add ';exit 0' after the on- and off-script, and a single semicolon after the status script: '~/bin/headset status;'
You can select headphone and headset icons too:)

Code: Select all
#!/bin/bash
#Toggle Sennheiser headset profile
active=$(pacmd list-cards | grep 'active profile' | egrep 'a2dp_sink|headset_head_unit' |  sed 's/.*\<\([^]]*\)\>.*/\1/g')

if [ ! -z $1 ] ; then 
  if [ $1 = "status" ] ; then
    case $active in
      "a2dp_sink") exit 1 ;;
      "headset_head_unit") exit 0 ;;
      *) exit 99;;
    esac
  fi
fi

myheadset=$(pacmd list-cards | egrep 'index:|description.*HD\ 4.50BTNC' | grep -B1 "HD 4.50BTNC" |head -1 |awk '{print $2}')

case $active in
    headset_head_unit)
        pacmd set-card-profile $myheadset 'a2dp_sink'
        ;;
    a2dp_sink)
        pacmd set-card-profile $myheadset 'headset_head_unit'
        ;;
esac