This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Cantata's smart playlists are giving me issues

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
gamelord12
Registered Member
OS
The last thing I need to accomplish in my transition from Windows to Linux that I'm only now getting around to is music. I found that Cantata can write ratings to files (even though it's not automated), and I got that working, and the next step is to build a smart playlist using those ratings. I rate anything that's actually a song, which means no comedy tracks, intro tracks, interludes, etc. The smart playlist should then populate a playlist with about 2000-3000 songs. Unfortunately, when I apply the rules for the playlist (literally just the criteria of a rating from 2 to 5, the only thing that gets populated is "Life Seeker" by Yes. Every time. The best I can tell is that this song is selected because it's the last song alphabetically (by Album Artist) in my collection that has a rating applied to it. So why do I just get the one? I set the limit to be 10000 songs, and it only seems to return 1. The limit also gets reset to 10 every time I boot up Cantata, and setting the limit to 0 (which sometimes means "infinite", but I'm not sure if that's the case here) still only returns the one song from Yes. If I specify something like "Artist=Tremonti" and set the limit to 100, then I still get all of the Tremonti albums returned. Am I missing something stupidly obvious here?

The other issue I've had is that I can't delete/remove a smart playlist. It gives me a warning dialog box about how it can't be done, but then nothing happens. I tried doing the same thing with a second smart playlist, and I got the same result. No errors are output to the terminal when I run Cantata from there, so I guess it's not erroring out when I do this.

Any ideas for either of these two problems? I'm on Ubuntu 18.04 (GNOME).
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Hm, I guess you should ask the Cantata people who are not on this forum AFAIK. Have you tried talking to the developer directly on Github? The link is https://github.com/CDrummond

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...