This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

No OSD or EPG Text Displaying in Kaffeine

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
mikeband
Registered Member
METV works fine - OSD & EPG via ATSC broadcasts and the same capture device. Kaffeine's OSD shows time and channel info on screen but no program title. EPG (Program Guide) shows the EPG table structure of the upcoming time periods that correspond with the actual length of the upcoming programs but there is no listing/text in the programming description grid windows. If you select a pgm time period the window below accurately displays the time and date. Hitting the record button fails to record or put an entry into the scheduler. I'm using a Hauppauge 950Q. Both my Lenovo and ASUS laptops on 18.04 have the same problem. Subtitles work fine.

It would be so nice to be able to use Kaffeine's record button and not have to enter all my recordings by hand. Thanks!
bblixt
Registered Member
I have the same exact issue. Besides having the portable Hauppauge 950Q I have the Hauppauge 2250 internal pcie card. Using the latest 1804 LTS build on the Peppermint 9 distro, Neither of them will display the title either in the OSD or EPG. Without that title the record button on the EPG screen is useless. Using Peppermint 8 with the same kernel 4.15 but with the 16.04 LTS using Kaffeine ver. 1.2.2 the OSD and EPG have the title but the sound and video are missing. On Peppermint 9 with Kaffeine ver. 2.0.14, I get the sound and video but no title. I have installed the Hauppauge media tree stuff from Hauppauge's website, I have installed the linux-firmware-nonfree, and I have installed the firmware from the linutv.org website and still no joy. I can find no other help for this anywhere online. I came across this site because my browser search showed this topic which is exactly like my issue. I have signed up for this forum in hopes of solving this issue. I see that the OP is over 6 weeks old and with no help. I hope that someone that developed Kaffeine can chime in with some answers. Are we out of luck?
bblixt
Registered Member
After much searching for solutions and finding none, I was getting desperate. Switching from Peppermint 9 to MXLinux live usb and downloading kaffeine from there repositories it work perfectly. Well at least as far I am concerned. Checking the About under the Help tab the version showed 2.0.5. I found a deb file here. https://debian.pkgs.org/9/debian-main-amd64/kaffeine_2.0.5-1_amd64.deb.html
I removed what I had originally installed and installed the kaffeine 2.0.5 deb file in Peppermint 9 and everything worked as it should.
I will never be smart enough to know what the problem was in Peppermint 9 and also Mint 19 with kaffeine ver 2.0.14. I just wish the solution would have been easier to find. It also seems to me that the moderators must be very busy fixing other KDE products cause they don't seem to have the time for kaffeine or maybe they are all on a caffeine break. :D
mikeband
Registered Member
bblixt wrote:After much searching for solutions and finding none, I was getting desperate. Switching from Peppermint 9 to MXLinux live usb and downloading kaffeine from there repositories it work perfectly. Well at least as far I am concerned. Checking the About under the Help tab the version showed 2.0.5. I found a deb file here. https://debian.pkgs.org/9/debian-main-amd64/kaffeine_2.0.5-1_amd64.deb.html
I removed what I had originally installed and installed the kaffeine 2.0.5 deb file in Peppermint 9 and everything worked as it should.
I will never be smart enough to know what the problem was in Peppermint 9 and also Mint 19 with kaffeine ver 2.0.14. I just wish the solution would have been easier to find. It also seems to me that the moderators must be very busy fixing other KDE products cause they don't seem to have the time for kaffeine or maybe they are all on a caffeine break. :D

bblixt, Thank you! o) I was beginning to wonder if I was the only Kaffeine user on the planet and I've been soo disappointed to find such a lack of interest in my favorite Linux program. Do you also use ATSC (US) OTA broadcasts? I've been searching for help with this bug for nearly a year since upgrading to Kaffeine v2. With METV's EPG working on both my systems I was pretty certain it was a Kaffeine bug, and finally, your experience with Mint and Peppermint gives me some confirmation. OBTW, I've never had a video or audio problem with either Kaffeine v1 with Xenial or Kaffeine v2 with Bionic but I was so anticipating EPG with v2.

The lack of a Kaffeine community leaves a very large void of info and expertise regarding this great application. I'm using Bionic Xubuntu and I'm pretty reluctant to go experimenting as I always end up with LAN and printer troubles but I'd sure like to know what is different about MX Linux (or METV for that matter). I switched to Xubuntu and Kaffeine v1 (which displayed OSD) about 5 years ago from Win7 where I used Hauppauge WinTV for many years. With WinTV I used the TitanTV online scheduler that allowed the user to click a TV program in a browser and it would download a 'program.tvpi' file (XML?) that would auto-populate WinTV's scheduler db. Chrome also dnlds this tvpi file to Xubuntu If I could get the Kaffeine scheduler to operate I could get a clue about the scheduler database functions and use some of my old (40+ years since I did this stuff) UNIX command line tools to grep info from that tvpi file and load the pgm in the Kaffeine scheduler with a click.

I would love to work with the developers to find this OSD/EPG problem and a fix. I've tried to submit it as a bug report but got no response. And, I also have open posts on the Ubuntu forums with, apparently, no interest. I'm concerned, this seeming lack of interest forebodes the end of Kaffeine. :(
bblixt
Registered Member
Well Mikeband I would have to agree. There doesn't seem to be much interest in kaffeine on this board at least with Hauppauge products. You should know that I don't have the knowledge to help any developer. When I get into trouble I have found the Peppermint community to be responsive and very helpful. I have never had any LAN troubles unless you are referring to connecting to your Network Attached Storage. In that case I have had some minor issues but able to resolve. With printers yah, but I have always been able to work them out. My biggest issue has been with file sharing between Windows and Linux.
Do you also use ATSC (US) OTA broadcasts?

Yes. I have been recording old half hour TV shows. I use to use METV ,it took me along time to find the drivers to get it to work. It seemed to work most of the time. It would record the show and play it back on VLC just fine, but when I would edit it with OpenShot sometimes I would have issues with the original record making it unusable. I finally got fed up with METV doing that and I switched to kaffeine and the issue went away. I have also switched from OpenShot (crashed a lot) to Flowblade for editing. Flowblade may not do allot of fancy editing but for just cutting out commercials it works great for me.
I have windows 10 upgrade from 7 on another computer my HTPC. With Titian TV and the Hauppauge card recording prime time TV is remarkably easy. It is a shame that Hauppauge's WinTv doesn't have those same features for Linux.

Xubuntu and Peppermint are based on Ununtu's LTS. You have Bionic 18.04 and I have Bionic18.04. You should not have to change OS. Click on the .html link I sent and scroll down until you see Downloads kaffeine_2.0.5-1_amd64.deb assuming you have 64 bit. Click to download and save.
Remove completely kaffeine 2.0.14 using Synaptic Package Manager.
Go to where you downloaded kaffeine 2.0.5 and click to install. It will tell you there is a new version, ignore it.
Once downloaded verify it is in your menu and it is working properly. If all is well, Verify that it is 2.0.5.
If all went well, you now need to stop kaffeine from updating. In you task bar,right click on the update shield and choose "preferences". Click on the tab that says "Ignored packages" and add kaffeine to the list. Now when Xubuntu does an update kaffeine should remain 2.0.5
If I could get the Kaffeine scheduler to operate I could get a clue about the scheduler database functions and use some of my old (40+ years since I did this stuff) UNIX command line tools to grep info from that tvpi file and load the pgm in the Kaffeine scheduler with a click.

Maybe if you get 2.0.5 working you will have an opportunity to use your skills. Then you would have a system just like WinTv for Linux. ^-^

Edit: I downloaded and made an .iso usb stick of Xubuntu. I then booted up and ran Xubuntu live stick. I then downloaded the kaffeine_2.0.5-1_amd64.deb and installed. It worked with my Hauppauge 950Q. I thought Xubuntu would have a similar desktop theme but I was wrong. So if you do download and install kaffeine_2.0.5-1_amd64.deb you will have to figure out how to keep it from updating.
bblixt
Registered Member
Mikeband it appears this issue has been resolved with 18.10 (Cosmic Cuttlefish) It uses version 2.0.16
Try dual boot Lubuntu or Manjaro they got it. Or stay with 2.0.5