This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

no Color Box in KolourPaint

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
pstock
Registered Member

no Color Box in KolourPaint

Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:00 pm
on a reinstalled version of Kolourpaint I do not have a Color Box (the color palette) at the bottom of the screen.
How do I get that to show?
I cannot find a solution in the Community.
I have tried one suggested solution, deleting kolourpaintrc file, but on relaunch the Color Box still does not show.

Peter.
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Re: no Color Box in KolourPaint

Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:49 pm
We would need at least some application version information, Plasma version and distribution is a minimum.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
pstock
Registered Member

Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:36 am
I see: Version 17.12.3

But I don't know what Plasma means. or where to find that version or distribution
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:09 pm
You do know which Linux distribution you use, don't you? That is the information we need, with the distribution version.

The version you run seems quite old, though, current is 19.x

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
pstock
Registered Member

Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:35 pm
thank you.
I am using Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS

I just used the Ubuntu software installer, searched for "Kolourpaint" and picked and installed the on that was proposed (there were two proposed actually, I chose the one that looked like the Kolourpaint I had installed previously.)
(I try to avoid Terminal processes if possible)

Hmm, I am not sure how to post an image.
I'll try this...

[img]
https://photos.google.com/search/_tra_/ ... ANZvOHC-1d
[/img]
pstock
Registered Member

Re: no Color Box in KolourPaint  Topic is solved

Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:42 pm
Ooopss. I got it sorted out.
I had installed the wrong (older) version, even though that was a version I recognized.

the one with the paint pallete is Version 19.08.0 and it installed perfectly and looks like what I was used to.

My apologies for taking your time with something so trivial.

Many thanks'

Peter
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:55 pm
Good you sorted it out.

Next time you need the information from KInfoCenter: you can just click the button at the bottom that says "Copy to Clipboard", we need the text only :-)

pstock
Registered Member

Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:19 am
I'm sorry but I am back.

it turns out the Kolourpaint version that I reinstalled (via Ubuntu Software) and which did have the color palette I had been missing, is unfortunately a SNAP version.
I have been havning a terrible time with SNAP versions of software as I am not allowed to access my external or secondary (non Home) HDDs.
for KolourPaint this is particularly difficult as many of the images I want to work on with KP are stored on these other drives.

I tried doing a Terminal command line installed of Kolourpaint. (sudo apt install Kolourpaint) but that installed an old version that is missing the color palette again.

How can I install a recent non-snap version of Kolourpaint. using commands (and not Ubuntu Software)?
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:29 pm
Sorry, can't help you there as I don't delve into this kind of specifications when installing, but this sounds more than weird, I never ever had a problem with accessing all my hard drives and there are some snap packages in my installation that work quite well. I very much doubt this has to do with the type of packaging at all.

Did you try upgrading your installation? Using an LTS version makes only sense in a corporate multi-seat installation, not really for a private user. Current Kubuntu is 19.10 and ships a recent package AFAICS