This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Audio settings won't allow selecting multiple outputs

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
MirceaKitsune
Registered Member
OS
I haven't posted this on the bug tracker yet, based on the answers here I may make a report next. A bit of background first: This issue was brought up to me by someone close who is a streamer, to whom I suggested trying the KDE version of our Linux distribution of choice. They like the DE with the exception of a very frustrating issue: As a streamer they need to do advanced audio mixing, which involves having an application output to multiple audio devices. This is something Pulseaudio allows but the KDE interface for it doesn't. Currently they use Pulseaudio Volume Control to work around this limitation.

https://i.imgur.com/G4QDqsQ.png

The problem as can be seen is that every audio device is a radio button and not a checkbox: You must pick one active device but cannot select multiple. Pulseaudio itself lets you do this, it's just this interface that does not. Could the developers please consider a method to resolve this and allow picking multiple audio inputs / outputs?

Since this will likely come up: We're aware of the option that allows you to create an unified audio output with all devices. They clarified that isn't a good solution either: They don't want the audio to go to all local outputs automatically, only to certain devices of choice.
MirceaKitsune
Registered Member
OS
Any thoughts on this one yet? I would like to hear from the KDE team or other users on it. This can be quite a problematic limitation for some of us and I'm hoping it can be addressed in some way.
MirceaKitsune
Registered Member
OS
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=440536

Reported this on the tracker as well, please take a look when you can. Hope it gets some attention: I figure this wouldn't be too hard to solve with a simple interface change, just needs someone to notice it.
MirceaKitsune
Registered Member
OS
Has the team given any thought to this? I'm seeing it's still a limitation in 5.23.3. Any hope of seeing a solution for 5.24 perhaps?