This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Auto-tagging faces in videos?

Tags: video, videos, tag, tagging, facial, face, recognition, google, photos, takeout, matcher, photostructure, json, metadata, auto, automatic, autotag, autotagging video, videos, tag, tagging, facial, face, recognition, google, photos, takeout, matcher, photostructure, json, metadata, auto, automatic, autotag, autotagging video, videos, tag, tagging, facial, face, recognition, google, photos, takeout, matcher, photostructure, json, metadata, auto, automatic, autotag, autotagging
(comma "," separated)
bruh
Registered Member

Auto-tagging faces in videos?  Topic is solved

Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:34 pm
EDIT: I think I posted this on the wrong forum. I don't know how to delete the post. I'm going to make another post on the appropriate forum.

Hello,

I'm a new digiKam user. I have a bunch of pictures and videos with a bunch of faces, and I'd like to use the app to be able to sort through all of my pictures/videos by the people seen in them by using the People category in digiKam.

I know digiKam can automatically do this facial recognition by itself with pictures, but I'm having trouble doing it with videos as well. As far as I can tell, it can't do this with videos as it does with photos. I can see though that I can still manually assign them a People tag, but I'd like to figure out a way to do this more quickly.

I tried uploading everything into Google Photos in the hopes that the JSON files that come with a Google Takeout export could be read by digiKam, but I'm not really tech-savvy enough to know how to do that. One way I thought of doing it was with Google Photos Matcher, but I don't know if digiKam will be able to read metadata even after it's been combined with the original file. Another way I thought of doing it was by converting it from being readable by Google Photos to PhotoStructure and finally to digiKam. However, it doesn't look like PhotoStructure can edit metadata either.

How should I go about auto-tagging faces in these videos by editing the metadata? Is this even possible to do?

Thank you for reading this post. 😁👍