This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to deal with thousands of duplicates? Batch processing?

Tags: dupes dupes dupes
(comma "," separated)
tenly
Registered Member
I have a photo library with 700,000 photos in it - and many of them are duplicates.

I am certain I'm missing something obvious, but there are a couple of things I'm having trouble figuring out.

#1. In album view, I have a folder for each year, and then within that folder, an album for each day on which I have photos.
From the view menu, I enabled "Include album sub-tree" so I see all of the photos for the entire year, when I select the year - but this selection doesn't seem to work for the "Find Duplicates". If I try to "Find Duplicates" with only the year folder selected, it doesn't find any. I have to drill down and select all 365 albums for that year. Is there a way to avoid having to do this?

#2. Once I've run the "Find Duplicates" on an album or albums, the "duplicates" tab appears and I see one row for each photo with duplicates, and then in the main area, I see all 8 photos (of which one of them is labeled "reference image"). The action I want to take for each row is to automatically delete all of the duplicates EXCEPT FOR THE REFERENCE IMAGE. But I can find no way to automate this process. So far the best I've been able to do is to click on each row (one at a time), then do a select all, then de-select the reference image, and then right-click to tag the others as "duplicate". But surely there has to be a way to automate that process? I will have thousands of images which are duplicated and there has to be a way to deal with them better than the way I'm doing it now, right? Please share it with me - or point me to the documentation that explains how!

Thanks in advance.
Stetsbequem
Registered Member
OS
I assume you are referring to "digiKam"? Take a look at "FDupes" or the newer "jdupes" for comparison.

The Social Credit System is a credit rating and blacklist being developed by the the ruling Chinese Communist Party. The goal is total control of the population by awarding points for desirable behavior, or withdrawing them for negative behavior.
KomraDE
Registered Member
OS
I think the weapon of choice here is:

https://github.com/qarmin/czkawka

Searches for exact dupes (by hash), or, which I like very much, it can also search for similar images/videos. The latter saved me already gazillions of space by finding different copies of of the same movies xD

No install needed, it provides also appimages.

Take a good look, children. It will prepare you for your adult lives in our nightmarish corporate system.