This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[SOLVED] Dragon Player and multimedia section of system settings crashing

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
BigNick1990
Registered Member
Hello everyone, I have switched to KDE 4.2 a few days ago. Everything seems to work fine, except for a thing: when I try to open Dragon player it loads for 5 seconds or so (i can see the small icon below my cursor and the process in the panel)and then it just doesn't open at all. On the other hand, Totem works without any issue. A similar thing happens when I go to system settings: as soon as I click on "multimedia" the whole program immediately crashes.
I'm using Ubuntu 8.10, and my graphics card is an Ati Radeon x1600xt.
Does anybody know how to solve this problem? Thanks in advance (and yes, I know, my english sucks :) ).

Last edited by BigNick1990 on Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
karthikp
Registered Member
OS
I have come across this problem of system settings crashing when you click on Multimedia. A quick fix that worked for my case was to nuke phonondevicesrc. Don't worry - the file will be recreated by the system when you log out and log in again.

Code: Select all
$ rm ~/.kde4/share/config/phonondevicesrc

If you upgraded from 4.1 to 4.2, I recommend backing up and removing your .kde4 directory. Log out and log in. This directory contains all your KDE settings and if it's missing, the system will automatically create a new one, resetting all your options to defaults.

Hope this helps. :)

karthikp, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008.
JontheEchinda
KDE Developer
OS
It's a problem with the Ubuntu xine translations: https://launchpad.net/bugs/290768
If you have the intrepid-proposed updates installed it should be pretty much fixed. (They need feedback on the bug btw)

JontheEchinda, proud to be a member of the Kubuntu team since July 2008.
BigNick1990
Registered Member
JontheEchinda wrote:It's a problem with the Ubuntu xine translations: https://launchpad.net/bugs/290768
If you have the intrepid-proposed updates installed it should be pretty much fixed. (They need feedback on the bug btw)

Yes! it worked! Problem solved, thanks a lot. :D