This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[SOLVED] screen flashes every 15 sec

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
znote
Registered Member
Hi
Ive just upgraded from ubuntu to kubuntu with kde4

Did the upgrade with a fresh install of ubuntu 8.10 from the live cd, and then changed system to kubuntu and removed all ubuntugnome components.

Im running a nividia geforce 8500 512mb gpu with analogue connection to the monitor

The problem is that the screen flashes every 15-30 sec.

anyone that can help?

Thanks,
chris74
Registered Member
OS
Yes I have the same problem, only in my case the screen flashes about once every second or so, I have tried disabling all advanced graphics etc. But although the flashing has slowed down? It is still there.
I use a Compaq Laptop and Ubuntu 8.10, I loaded KDE desktop so as to allow easier adding of fonts [hard under gnome] and rather think I prefer it to Gnome, but cannot put up with the flashing.
Under Gnome programs i.e. Firefox, Kontact will go full screen, thus unable to shrink/ park can only go to file>quit unless I exit Awn/Avant and change the desktop to none
System> Preferences > Appearances > Visual Effects > None when i can resize the window and all is OK then return to > Visual >Effects Normal, otherwise Awn etc does not work.
any ideas would be helpful.
Chris[/align]

Hallucigenia
Hawkmoon
Registered Member
OS
It might be the RANDR-bug. Try this:
K-menu -> system settings -> advanced -> services
In the bottom list, select "Detect RANDR changes" and press "Stop", and then uncheck the checkbox next to it.

(Note that I use swedish language, so some terms in my instruction might not be correct.)
chris74
Registered Member
OS

Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:05 am
Hawkmoon wrote:It might be the RANDR-bug. Try this:
In the bottom list, select "Detect RANDR changes" and press "Stop", and then uncheck the checkbox next to it.

(Note that I use swedish language, so some terms in my instruction might not be correct.)

Yes that fixed the little devil very many thanks for your help.
:-P

Hallucigenia
PtitLu
Registered Member
Hello. Same problem for me, with random flashes. Sometimes, everything works fine and suddenly, the screen is flashing every second.
Hawkmoon wrote:It might be the RANDR-bug. Try this:
I can't find Detect RANDR changes in the services list. Am i the only one ?

Video Card : nVidia GTX 285
Ubuntu Jaunty
Drivers : nvidia ones packed with jaunty

The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Apparently it was changed that the module is now of the type "Automatic" and is activated "On Demand".
You can fix it by removing the desktop file which tells KDE how to load it, which will effectively disable the plugin.

Look for a "randr" named file in $KDEDIR/share/kde4/services/kded/ where $KDEDIR is usually /usr, and remove it.

Do not remove any other files from this directory or you run the risk of seriously damaging your systems function
( including Removable device notifications, Konqueror Cookies & Favicons, Hotkeys and Screen size recognition, SSL support, usage of remote KIO slaves, password prompting when required, Phonon management, Timezone awareness, usage of the Network Management plasmoid and recieving of system wide notifications. )

Once you have removed the needed files, run the following command then logout and in again.
Code: Select all
kbuildsycoca4 --noincremental

Last edited by bcooksley on Wed May 20, 2009 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
PtitLu
Registered Member

Wed May 20, 2009 10:39 am
bcooksley wrote:Look for a "randr" named file in $KDEDIR/share/kde4/services/kded/ where $KDEDIR is usually /usr, and remove it.
ls /usr/share/kde4/services/kded/
Code: Select all
desktopnotifier.desktop  kcookiejar.desktop       khotkeys.desktop         kssld.desktop          phononserver.desktop  remotedirnotify.desktop
dnssdwatcher.desktop     kdedglobalaccel.desktop  konqy_preloader.desktop  ktimezoned.desktop     powerdevil.desktop    soliduiserver.desktop
favicons.desktop         kded_kephal.desktop      kpasswdserver.desktop    networkstatus.desktop  proxyscout.desktop

No randr file was listed.

EDIT : I have the same problem when using Enlightenment instead of KDE

Last edited by PtitLu on Wed May 20, 2009 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

bcooksley
Administrator
OS
It is possible that your screen is not configured correctly. Please ensure the correct frequency has been specified, along with the correct mode lines. Also, could you please compare the list of processes running under KDE and Enlightenment and list those which are exactly the same.

KDE Sysadmin
PtitLu
Registered Member
It worked perfectly with a Radeon HD and the fglrx drivers, so i thought the screen was correctly configured. I will check the running processes, thanks.

Eric56
Registered Member

Fri May 22, 2009 12:17 pm
I think a problem like this is usually due to incorrect screen configuration. I experienced a flashing screen when I used a different software and I had to adjust the configuration. Then everything worked fine. As explained above, you can often adjust the screen in the software menu so you don't even have to go to the systems settings of your PC.
PtitLu
Registered Member

Fri May 22, 2009 12:30 pm
Eric56 wrote:you can often adjust the screen
By modifying xorg.conf or via a GUI ?

PtitLu
Registered Member
Hello again. This problem only appears when i use KDE (not Gnome, that i don't like a lot) but i cannot understand which service causes this issue.

bcooksley
Administrator
OS
The only service known to do this is the RandR auto detection service which was shipped by Kubuntu in one release, and triggered a bug on some graphics drivers.

Given the module has been ruled out, this seems to be a customisation done by Kubuntu to KDE, which I have no knowledge of. If you have Powerdevil enabled, you could try disabling it though. If that doesn't help, you will need to file a bug with Kubuntu.

KDE Sysadmin
PtitLu
Registered Member
With nvidia drivers 185.18.14. Install method : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1036788

bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Thread marked as "Solved". If it is not solved, please use "Unsolve It" to mark it as so.

KDE Sysadmin