This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Phonon backend - Gstreamer or Xine

Which backend do you use?

Xine
93%
Gstreamer
7%

Total votes : 59

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
descendent87
Registered Member
OS
Could someone explain or point me to a website/article that explains the differences between gstreamer and xine, or is it just another one of these things that both do the same thing/exist for the same reason but for some reason theres 2 projects. I know that freedom of choice is one of the positives of using linux but I can't help feel that in some ways it's also holding it back in certain areas (not trying to start flamewar, just my opinion)
Raffles10
Registered Member
OS
Only ever had problems with gstreamer, xine has been perfect so far.
eean
KDE Developer
OS
descendent87 wrote:Could someone explain or point me to a website/article that explains the differences between gstreamer and xine, or is it just another one of these things that both do the same thing/exist for the same reason but for some reason theres 2 projects. I know that freedom of choice is one of the positives of using linux but I can't help feel that in some ways it's also holding it back in certain areas (not trying to start flamewar, just my opinion)

Well I guess you should be happy that Xine is dying out then.

bcooksley wrote:Upstream Xine is unfortunately suffering a large lack of developer power at the moment ( I think only one developer remains ) which is resulting in things starting to break.

Yea we are in the process of switching to VideoLAN as the preferred backend. The effort is happening in #phonon on Freenode. Right now I believe phonon-vlc isn't ready for primetime yet but its getting there. VideoLAN itself is a great project with many developers that has been going on for a long time.