This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

RAW image thumbnailer

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
nightfrost
Registered Member

RAW image thumbnailer

Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:26 pm
Is there anything like gnome-raw-thumbnailer for KDE?

Under gnome's file manager, nautilus, all my RAW images would be presented as thumbnails. Dolphin only shows a generic icon for RAW.

Is there any way to remedy this?

(I'm using Kubuntu and KDE 4.3 beta 2)

nightfrost, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
JontheEchinda
KDE Developer
OS

RE: RAW image thumbnailer

Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:58 pm
Sure, one exists. It just isn't enabled by default. ;-)
To enable it, go to the "General" section in Dolphin's settings. From there you can choose the plugins tab where you should be able to enable file previews for RAW images.

JontheEchinda, proud to be a member of the Kubuntu team since July 2008.
nightfrost
Registered Member

Re: RAW image thumbnailer

Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:32 pm
Hey, thanks a lot for your reply. For some reason, I had no notification about a reply to this thread, so I haven't seen it until now.

I have changed the settings according to your suggestion, but the thumbnails are still not being shown. I even changed "Maximum Filesize" to 20MB since my NEFs are ~10MB, but still no go.

Any other suggestions? Do I need any particular packages installed?

CrustyRatFink
Registered Member
OS

Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:37 pm
I'm very interested in this topic as well. I've recently (read that: 'yesterday') moved from Gnome to KDE. Not sure what the problem was with Gnome, exactly, to be honest, but it just felt really... heavy. I was also having all kinds of trouble with *something* about it and Xorg... 100% CPU use lock-ups almost every day, and I got sick of looking for the needle in that haystack.

Annnnyway, one thing it DID do was to show me thumbnails of my CR2 files in nautilus. Dolphin (or Konq) don't seem to want to do that. I've looked at how they're identifying them, and it looks like they correctly call them out as raw files but TIFF image types-- which, I don't believe is correct, though I'll admit ignorance about their actual innards.

I od-dumped the CR2 files, and the signature matches up with the magic file. I bumped the max file size for thumbnails up to 100MB. I've installed every libraw/exif package I could find. None of that changed anything. Gnome shows them, KDE doesn't.

Now, I should say that I can open them in whatever application just fine. So, it's not that the system doesn't know what to do with them. It's strictly the thumbnailing-- and more specifically, only within Dolphin and Konqueror.

All that said, it seems clear to me that the system is capable of displaying them; I must have something garfed... somewhere...

Can anyone shed any light on a hidden checkbox somewhere? Given that I spend most of my time processing photos on my system, I'd love to be able to see them natively in KDE rather than depending on my KVM Windows installation for that... not much point in that, eh?
:/
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:17 am
Can you please run the following command aganist the files?
Code: Select all
file --mimetype <file name>

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
nightfrost
Registered Member

Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:52 am
I don't know if this will help you, but at least with regard to .NEF files, dolphin needs to have the extension in lower case for some reason. So try changing the extension on one file. If that works, install krename and start mass renaming your files until https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=201444 is solved.

FWIW, the mime type on my .NEF files: image/tiff.

CrustyRatFink
Registered Member
OS

Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:11 pm
bcooksley wrote:Can you please run the following command aganist the files?
Code: Select all
file --mimetype <file name>

Hi... reports as "image/tiff". I honestly don't know if CR2 is a container for tiff, or if they're completely different, and that's a mis-identification. Turns out that it's kind of a moot point, though, because I've had to dump KDE to go back to Gnome. KDE refuses to let me fire up a second X session on my second video card, and that's a deal-breaker. I need to be able to run virtualized guest OSs on a separate session (or an expanded desktop, but that... oh boy... Jaunty's such a turd.)

Kind of ironic that I was maddest at Vista for not letting me use my two video cards when I could in XP. Load up Jaunty and find that I can't use them there either, even though I could (including Xinerama) in Hardy, etc.

Regression is apparently all the rage these days.

Anyway, if there's an obvious fix to the thumbnailing thing, I'd still be interested in hearing about it, since I assume that one day functionality will catch up to previous releases. .:/
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:53 am
The inability to use two X sessions was likely related to enabling Desktop Effects, which uses more resources.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
rbr28
Registered Member
OS

Re: RAW image thumbnailer  Topic is solved

Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:09 am
Just a note that I'm using KDE 4.3.2 and previews work in Dolphin, even with my raw files having .NEF extensions.