This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Login sound plays after a delay of few seconds

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
vishalrao
Registered Member
OS
Hi,

I'm running Arch Linux x86_64 and just updated to KDE 4.3.0 (was previously running the RCs)...

Everytime I login to the desktop there is some delay (maybe 5 to 10 seconds) until the login sound plays.

Is this normal? How can I check what/where/why is the delay occuring?

I have disabled KMix and "restore volume" autostart but the delay is still there - initially I thought KMix was the problem since it shows up at the very last moment just when login sound starts playing.

Thanks!
Vishal

"Thou shalt not follow the null pointer for at its end madness and chaos lie."
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
The delay of the login sound is because applications are likely launched one by one by KSMServer as it starts KDE up. This causes KMix to appear just as the sound commences to play, as it has a very fast startup.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
vishalrao
Registered Member
OS
oh so this is normal? is there any way to get the login sound to play earlier (as soon as you login) because it feels odd when the sound plays much after login has apparently completed :)

"Thou shalt not follow the null pointer for at its end madness and chaos lie."
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Unfortunately I do not know of a method, but you could try disabling the notification, and using a startup script with a high sorting name ( such as aa- or 00- ) to play the sound

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
sandsmark
KDE Developer
OS
vishalrao wrote:oh so this is normal? is there any way to get the login sound to play earlier (as soon as you login) because it feels odd when the sound plays much after login has apparently completed :)

I think the point of the login sound is to notify the user that the login has completed, and the computer is ready to be used.