This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Some sounds....

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
p00p
Registered Member

Some sounds....

Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:03 pm
I just loaded PCBSD 7 w/ KDE 4.1. When the KDE desktop appears, there is a cool tune that plays. But if I try to play a CD with KCD, there is no sound. The player is working and showing it's playing the CD, but no sound happens. When I log out there is a song played.
What's the difference between the two? How do I get all the sounds working?

When I look for help in the KDE Help Center, and click on sound I get a missing file error : There is on documentation available for /kcontrol/phonon/index.html

Thanks for any help you can give,

p00p!
Riinse
Registered Member
OS

RE: Some sounds....

Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:55 pm
if you get no sound when you play cd's, but do get sound when playing other files, it is possible that you need to activate the digital sound extracting in the cd player you are using.

Riinse, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
jrick
Registered Member
OS

Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:10 pm
Try using KMix. I seem to remember having to unmute the CD sound channel before I was able to do the same thing.

Type Colemak!

Proud, Conservative Republican

"Gentlemen! You can't fight in here! This is the war room!"
--President Merkin Muffley, Dr. Strangelove
radio_activv
Registered Member

Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:11 am
-check to see if, in your advanced sound settings 'Master' and 'PCM' AND 'CD' channels are not @ 0% or low.
-if that fails, try using an alternative sound app.
-if that fails, and your sure you have the required sound plugins set on your machine, then MAYBE you should check on your CD/DVD drive

[align=center]radiO.actiVv.iTy[/align]
qa729
Registered Member

Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:48 am
I have the same Problem, there is no Sound except of the starting sound and the shutting down sound. I have tried vlc media player and amarok, and with both there is no sound.
I'm using also KDE 4 (Kubuntu 8.10), and i have checked the audio settings. I think this whole thing is a bug in KDE 4.

My Sound card is an Onboard ALC888 soundchip.

Edit: With the dragonplayer, i do have some sound after i choose audio channel something that is unreadable (only symbols). Until there is a solution for the problem, i can hear my music wuth the dragon player.

Edit2: It's working! I only choosed oss in the audio settings, and it works now with no problems. I hope this will help others also.

Last edited by qa729 on Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:51 am
What about KDE Notification sounds? are they affected by this, as your Phonon configuration clearly is functional ( otherwise the login/logout sound would not play ).

if they are but for example amarok isn't then we need to find out who isn't releasing the audio device ( in the case of notifications working then KNotify is to blame ).

However this in general sounds like you need to swing by the relevant distro forum and get ALSA sorted out with DMix support so more than 1 program can play a sound at once.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]