This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Is there anyway to configure video ouput of phonon backends?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
frognaut
Registered Member
Is there anyway to configure phonon-xine or phonon-gstreamer? I mean settings like video output (xv ,x11, opengl)? Unfortunately the defaults for example renders the new kaffeine useless for me since phonon's default video output works bad with Ati card I have. Opengl as video output driver works great so are there any way to set that to either phonon-xine or gstreamer? Feeling kind of crippled at the moment...

Shouldn't ability to set video output be like the most basic feature that there is? Since different gfx cards tends to have their own best video ouput settings under GNU/Linux, BSD's and so on ---> there are no good defaults that satisfies most.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Unfortunately at this time the configuration options offered by both engines are not very good. You can manually configure them through their appropriate configuration files ( I think Xine uses ~/.xine/, Kaffeine from KDE 3 configures these files directly so can probably provide a work around for now )

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
frognaut
Registered Member
Well gstreamer can be configured with some optional configuration app made with GTK, which is probably not the most ideal thing.

Phonon-xine is a real **** though, because it just ignores xine's settings :D
Ignacio Serantes
Registered Member
OS
Configuration phonon files for xine are located here:

~/.config/kde.org/Phonon-Xine.xine.conf

and not in kde4-config --localprefix as usual.

This is probably because Phonon is a Qt related subsystem.

Ignacio Serantes, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
The location of the configuration file is because it is located in kdesupport, and therefore can only use Q* classes. QConfig uses ~/.config by default.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
frognaut
Registered Member
Unfortunately doesn't work at all. It just ignores manually put video output setting imitating xine.conf :(
Ignacio Serantes
Registered Member
OS
bliblibli wrote:Unfortunately doesn't work at all. It just ignores manually put video output setting imitating xine.conf :(

Report this as bug, or wish, in bugs.kde.org

Ignacio Serantes, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.
sandsmark
KDE Developer
OS
bliblibli wrote:Unfortunately doesn't work at all. It just ignores manually put video output setting imitating xine.conf :(

Triple-check that you are really using the Xine backend.

And then run something like:
Code: Select all
strace amarok | grep xine.conf

and pastebin the output somewhere.

Please don't file a bug yet.

frognaut
Registered Member
sandsmark wrote:

Triple-check that you are really using the Xine backend.

And then run something like:
Code: Select all
strace amarok | grep xine.conf

and pastebin the output somewhere.

Please don't file a bug yet.

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=187245
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=189033

Have a look at these. I am not the only one "suffering" from the lack of configurability.
sandsmark
KDE Developer
OS
bliblibli wrote:https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=187245
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=189033

Have a look at these. I am not the only one "suffering" from the lack of configurability.

That was not what I asked you.

I know that the Xine backend doesn't have a pretty GUI for configuring it yet, that's what I'm sitting and writing on now.

Also, the Xine backend requires (/forces) the use of an output with XCB for performance reasons.

frognaut
Registered Member