This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Is there a good cd ripper for KDE?

Tags: k3b, flac, ripping k3b, flac, ripping k3b, flac, ripping
(comma "," separated)
descendent87
Registered Member
OS

Is there a good cd ripper for KDE?

Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:08 pm
I know K3B can rip audio cd's but compared to programs like EAC (the best cd ripper I've found) it is lacking in features. Are there anyother QT/KDE4 cd rippers that can do things such as secure ripping or rip flac with log & cue files?
Even a QT/KDE frontend to rubyripper would be nice as it's about the best replacement for EAC I've found so far
sandsmark
KDE Developer
OS
What do you mean with “secure ripping”? libparanoia (which is used by for example the audiocd:/-kioslave, k3b and Audex) gives you a bit-for-bit correct representation of the cdda data on the cd, and even tries to work around unreadable parts. The Red Book standard for audio cd's also specifies the usage of CIRC for detecting and correcting errors, this is usually done in hardware on modern CD-readers though, afaik.

No idea about cue-sheet-support either (why do you need cue-files if you use for example ogg or flac, which doesn't have the problem with lagging silence because of having to use up blocks?). If you just want some kind of storable playlist, there's plenty of formats.

But I usually use Audex for ripping.

descendent87
Registered Member
OS
http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Secure_ripping
As for cue files, you can open the cue file in K3B to burn back to CD.
I'm looking for these features because I want to create a backup of all my CD's on my computer so I can play them from there and if anything were to happen to the original CD I can use the cue file to burn the tracks back to CD quickly (and with secure ripping I can gaurentee that there were no errors when it was ripped so it is a 100% copy of the original disc)
sandsmark
KDE Developer
OS

From that same wiki:
cdparanoia will read correct, rock-solid audio data from inexpensive drives prone to misalignment, frame jitter, and loss of streaming during atomic reads

So I assume that anything using libparanoia is okay.

descendent87 wrote:As for cue files, you can open the cue file in K3B to burn back to CD.[/url]

Well, I can see that the cue file can be easy, but isn't it just as easy to just store one album in a one folder? I think K3B sorts the tracks automatically when adding them.

descendent87 wrote:I'm looking for these features because I want to create a backup of all my CD's on my computer so I can play them from there and if anything were to happen to the original CD I can use the cue file to burn the tracks back to CD quickly (and with secure ripping I can gaurentee that there were no errors when it was ripped so it is a 100% copy of the original disc)

I don't think you can get much better than cdparanoia. But I suggest you try a couple of different tools, and see which is the most efficient/usable, at least if you have lots of albums to rip.

john_hudson
Registered Member
OS
If you want to preserve the original quality of the CD you need to use FLAC. But why not simply make a CD to CD backup copy? Whether that is legal in your country, I don't know. Different countries have different laws about making backups of commercial material but I presume the same law would cover a CD to computer and a CD to CD copy.

John Hudson, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
sandsmark
KDE Developer
OS
john_hudson wrote:If you want to preserve the original quality of the CD you need to use FLAC. But why not simply make a CD to CD backup copy? Whether that is legal in your country, I don't know. Different countries have different laws about making backups of commercial material but I presume the same law would cover a CD to computer and a CD to CD copy.

Yes, simply “cp /dev/cdrom album-backup.iso” should work fine too. You might want to gzip or bzip2 it, if size matters.

descendent87
Registered Member
OS
I also want to be able to play music from my computer (much quicker to have my whole cd collection on the computer) so making a backup of the disc isn't possible
sandsmark
KDE Developer
OS
descendent87 wrote:I also want to be able to play music from my computer (much quicker to have my whole cd collection on the computer) so making a backup of the disc isn't possible

Go with flacs, then.

descendent87
Registered Member
OS
That's what I am doing, but having to use rubyripper at the moment until I find a QT/KDE program that is as good
Kryten2X4B
Registered Member
OS
descendent87 wrote:That's what I am doing, but having to use rubyripper at the moment until I find a QT/KDE program that is as good

Just wondering: what is rubyripper doing that audex is not?

OpenSUSE 11.4, 64-bit with KDE 4.6.4
Proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
descendent87
Registered Member
OS
CD offset [url=http://www.accuraterip.com/driveoffsets.htm]
Burns each track twice and matches all chunks twice, if any of them do not match up it re-rips the track and checks again.
Logfile to show any messages/errors from burning
Creates cuesheets
There may be more but those are the features that I use rubyripper for
housedj
Banned
OS
thanks for the info, i will be using this for testing my new audio cd before production

:D