This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Sound System:

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
LongDriver01
Registered Member
OS

Sound System:

Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:11 am
I am new to using PCLinuxOS, I have learned that when I log on as ROOT I have sound in any and all media players. However, when I log on as user I have absolutely no sound in any of the media players, not even the log on sounds.
Can you tell me why this is happening?
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Re: Sound System:

Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:32 am
Well, first of all, you are not supposed to login as root, ever. It is the most insecure way to run a system and one can easily destroy the system with a simple "delete" on a system file or folder. Even the most advance user never logs in as root, that is very bad practice.

When it comes to sound in PCLinuxOS, you might first give us a bit more details of which KDE version you are talking about (I never used PCLinuxOS).

Then checking the basics like Kmix and if you have nothing muted there, what sound backend you use, etc. might be very helpful, too. Kmix settings can be accessed with a right click on the speaker icon in the system tray part of the panel.

FWIW, KDE runs best with the phonon-xine backend, and none of the applications of KDE needs pulseaudio, hence you should avid it as it causes many problems with phonon. To check the phonon settings, open the System Settings in the main menu and go to the Multimedia section. Check both tabs there.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
LongDriver01
Registered Member
OS

Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:43 pm
I am using KDE version 3.5.10 when I log on as user I get a pop up that says "Error while initializing the sound driver." It also says "device /dev/dsp can't be opened (permission denied).
When I right click on the speaker in the tray I get a blank square. "NO" controls available. :/
Hans
Administrator
OS

Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:04 pm
Maybe you need to add your user to the audio group (or whatever it's called in PCLinuxOS).

Run 'kdesu kuser' -> enter your root password. In the application: double click on your user name -> go to "Groups" tab -> check "audio" -> click "OK" -> exit application.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
LongDriver01
Registered Member
OS

Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:21 am
There is no way of doing any such thing in this operating system. I am going to delete the "LINUX" operating system and return to XP where I am an authority. :/
DarkC0de
Registered Member
OS

Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:19 pm
I have the same problem whine i log in i have a massage in system tray part of the panel.
and the speaker icon in the system tray part of the panel is hidden .
this is a massage :
"the audio playback device HDA Intel (ALC662 Analog)does not work "

:((:((:((:((:((

what I can do ....remember that i use KDE 4!!!
DarkC0de
Registered Member
OS

Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:26 pm
Run 'kdesu kuser' -> enter your root password. In the application: double click on your user name -> go to "Groups" tab -> check "audio" -> click "OK" -> exit application.

thanks ...it's work>>>>>:)
cwizard
Registered Member
OS

Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:16 pm
LongDriver01 wrote:There is no way of doing any such thing in this operating system. I am going to delete the "LINUX" operating system and return to XP where I am an authority. :/

Sign on as Root, but only do so to make the necessary "global" changes and for maintenance. Once done, logout and log back in with your user name.

Slackware64 with "True Multilib."
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:34 pm
cwizard: a bit late to comment, please check the date of the thread.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...