This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Listening to Audio Books

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Scunnered
Registered Member
OS

Listening to Audio Books

Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:38 pm
I am using Ubuntu 9.04 and am seeking a means to listening to audio books on an iPod.

When I use iTunes to load books into the iPod I am able to join each individual track on a CD and this will then let me listen to the entire book irrespective of the number of CDs used. I can start the book on CD1 – track 1 and listen to it through to the end. When I stop the playing the position that it is stopped at is remembered and starting again pick ups the reading from where it was last stopped.

Can you please advise if I can replicate this operation using your software.

Should you need clarification of what I am looking for could I suggest Aldo on Audiobooks that can be found at aldoblog.com

Thanking you in anticipation.
sandsmark
KDE Developer
OS

Re: Listening to Audio Books

Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:11 pm
Uhm, just rip the audio book with something like Audex, and transfer it to your music player?
(Just remember to set the same album name for all the tracks.)

chh
Registered Member

Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:17 pm
This is possible and quite easy.
If you have a bunch of mp3s from your audiobook just use mp3wrap to get one big mp3, then you have several ways of making a m4b file out of this.
Probably the easiest way is using pacpl, which uses other tools to get you there directly.

Christian
Scunnered
Registered Member
OS

Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:51 pm
My thanks to you both.

It looks very much like I am going to have to speak nicely to someone who uses Windows to let me copy books to iTunes.

I seem to be getting into things above my head when attempting to get away from Microsoft. I am new to Linux and finding that this particular good idea is falling quickly apart. Looks very much like a completely new experience coming up.

Thanks again
chh
Registered Member

Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:42 pm
Hey,

do not give up on Linux because of that.
There is always a community to help.
In this case:
Send me a PM with your email and I will send you the scripts I made to convert my mp3s to m4b.

Christian