This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

transparency

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
painteru
Registered Member
OS

transparency

Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:47 pm
Hello!
How can I set the transparency in the Dolphin window background ? I know about the click on window decoration then Opacity --> 100%..90% ..etc. but it's not what I want.
I saw here a screen-shot : http://www.kde-look.org/content/preview.php?preview=2&id=111030&file1=111030-1.jpg&file2=111030-2.jpg&file3=111030-3.jpg&name=Neon+Plasma+theme+by+FRUiT

That is how I would want to set the dolphin manager.
Also, how can I set the kickoff background to be transparent ?
I have found here on this forum a suggestion to set the plasma them to naked which I already have set before to read that but I have transparent just the frame of the kickoff.
Thank you!
Daniel

Kryten2X4B
Registered Member
OS

Re: transparency

Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:24 pm
painteru wrote:That is how I would want to set the dolphin manager.

I don't think that's possible. You can set inactive windows to be as translucent as you like (using desktop effects->translucency), but I don't think the focused window can be. What can be seen in that screenshot is just the folderview plasmoid, which is very different to dolphin (which I'm sure you know already).

OpenSUSE 11.4, 64-bit with KDE 4.6.4
Proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
it-s
Registered Member

Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:17 pm
Those file management thingies aren't Dolphin. They are Plasma Folderview. To get those:
1) Right click on your desktop
2) Choose "Add Widgets"
3) Type folder into the search text field
4) Click-and-drag Folderview onto your desktop.

As for Kockoff transparency - this one comes with a different plasma theme, but ONLY if you have desktop effects enabled.

To enable desktop effects:
1) Starts System Settings (to do that press Alt+F2 and type settings into the search field. Click on "Personal Settings" entry thereafter)
2) in Settings choose "Desktop", and under "Desktop Effects", "General" tab make sure "Enable desktop effects" is checked. If it is, you may safely close "System Settings". Othervise check it and click apply, before you close the window.

To change your plasma theme:
1) Right click your desktop and choose "Desktop Settings"
2) Under "Desktop Theme" Click "Theme" dropdown menu. A list of avalable themes will drop down.
3) Choose a theme you wish to set (don't forget that you can scroll down) ((By the way theme you are looking for is called "Neon Glow by FRUiT"))
4) Click "Apply", and close "Desktop Settings" Window

If the theme you wish to set is not on the list you can get it from the online repo.
To do so:
1) Right click your desktop and choose "Desktop Settings"
2) Under "Desktop Theme" Click "New Theme" button. A new window will come up listing the downloadable themes.
3) Find the one you like and click "Install" and wait untill it downloads. (you can also "Update", or "Delete" a theme fron thos menu)
4) Click "Close" to close the window and now you have the theme you need and you can set it using the steps I listed in the previous section "To change your plasma theme:".

Hope this helps

it-s
Graphics and Design
KDEGames module
painteru
Registered Member
OS

Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:33 pm
Thanks it-s !
I understood that the Dolphin's windows can't have transparent background.
As for the Kickoff, I have already all those above enabled and "naked" theme activated (which I know that provide transparent background for kickoff)
With all of this, kickoff have transparent only the frame around.

it-s
Registered Member

Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:59 pm
Well having kickoff transparent would render the app names unreadable I think. But the closest theme that comes to what you are looking to do are "Glasified" and "Solid"
Try those

it-s
Graphics and Design
KDEGames module
sandsmark
KDE Developer
OS

Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:11 pm
I think the Bespin style has experimental support for ARGB windows.

painteru
Registered Member
OS

Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:48 pm
Well, in the meanwhile, I switch to Lancelot.
It have translucency and I like it more. The linux way who we love : You can choose!