This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Kaffeine 1pre2 eats all the memory

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
RGB
Registered Member
OS

Kaffeine 1pre2 eats all the memory

Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:43 pm
Sometime after I upgraded to kde 4.3.1 (but not exactly when I upgraded), kaffeine 1.0pre2 do not start anymore: it just eats the system resources: If I look at the system activity monitor, I can see kaffeine process taking 50% of the system, and its memory usage growing without limits (together with the cpu temperature...) up to when I kill the process: it goes from some megas to 1 giga in few seconds.
This happens even if I just open kaffeine alone, without calling any media, from krunner or konsole.
Starting from konsole gives no error at all.
Xine (xine-ui) and dragon player work without complains.
With kde 4.3.0 I used kaffeine 1pre2 to watch dvds and other media without problems and I think I used it once with 4.3.1
Any idea?

NOTE: I've seen the thread How to play DVDs?, but here xine, dragon, mplayer, vlc... all of those apps works without problems, only kaffeine become "mad".

RGB, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.
And proud to be a kde user since 1.1.2
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Try updating Kaffeine, as it may have needed a recompile. I believe Quassel had a similar issue when moving to Qt 4.5 that was due to the ABI/API compatible changing of two methods in QList.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
L_V
Banned
OS
Kaffeine is a dead project, or at least, clearly dying.

Smplayer is a good replacement.
annew
Manager
OS
Surprising statement, considering that the last release was 5 weeks ago, according to http://kaffeine.kde.org/

annew, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct and a KDE user since 2002.
Join us on http://userbase.kde.org
L_V
Banned
OS
Not so surprising considering the timing necessary to port Kaffeine3 on KDE4.
No progress for long time.
1.0-pre2 release is peanut progressing just to say "hey ! i am still alive !".
No schedule.
Smplayer is a good replacement.
blaze
Registered Member
OS
Does Smplayer support DVB-S the same way as Kaffeine? No? So where's your replacement?
L_V
Banned
OS
Smplayer is a Qt layer on top of the famous mplayer (commonly used in linux distributions).

You can read this to know more about DVB/mplayer: DVB and Mplayer

You can also try "man mplayer" to know more.

mplayer tv://[channel][/input_id] [options]
mplayer radio://[channel|frequency][/capture] [options]
mplayer pvr:// [options]
mplayer dvb://[card_number@]channel [options]
annew
Manager
OS
L_V wrote:Smplayer is a Qt layer on top of the famous mplayer (commonly used in linux distributions).

Good as mplayer is, it does not suit everybody. It's time to recommend alternatives when the poster asks for them. He asked a question about kaffeine.

annew, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct and a KDE user since 2002.
sandsmark
KDE Developer
OS
Kaffeine has had a more recent release than SMplayer, I think it's pretty {pre,im}mature to call it dead. :-P

L_V
Banned
OS
annew / "He asked a question about kaffeine."

=> answering to that one : "Does Smplayer support DVB-S the same way as Kaffeine ?"

sandsmark / "I think it's pretty {pre,im}mature to call it dead"

How many years between KDE4 platform availability and Kaffeine availability (= released) to call it dead of not ? especially when no schedule and activity is made visible ?

Completely dead or not, no major difference, users cannot wait 2 more years to expect something, and need to look for alternatives.
This is the real life.
sandsmark
KDE Developer
OS
L_V wrote:How many years between KDE4 platform availability and Kaffeine availability (= released) to call it dead of not ? especially when no schedule and activity is made visible ?

This has nothing to do with it being “dead” or not, only with good project management.

L_V wrote:Completely dead or not, no major difference, users cannot wait 2 more years to expect something, and need to look for alternatives.
This is the real life.

The KDE 3 version works, doesn't it? What do you have to wait for?

annew
Manager
OS
Some of us may think it worth the wait. You use what you like, and let us use what we like. Meanwhile, please try to stay on-topic

L_V
Banned
OS
Kaffeine_3 requires the Qt3 libs and if by far worse integrated in KDE4 than Smplayer which is a Qt4 application plugged on a solid basis.
RGB
Registered Member
OS
With last factory update, I received a new build for kaffeine and now it is working. Just in case I deleted (again) all kaffeine config files. No problems for now.

RGB, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.
And proud to be a kde user since 1.1.2
L_V
Banned
OS
Ha, good news from the factory.
This means that Kaffeine will be probably released one day on KDE4 platform, and that Kaffeine is not yet completely a dead project.