This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

juk not playing songs

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
dreamz
Registered Member
OS

juk not playing songs

Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:56 pm
i'm running ubuntu 9.10 (minimal installation) with kde-minimal on top and i'm running into some trouble getting juk working. i grabbed the latest version from the ubuntu repository (v3.3 it seems). but when i try to play mp3 files, nothing happens. it looks like juk is just skipping past the songs without playing them.

i think i may be missing some packages. how can i fix this?

thanks. :)
dreamz
Registered Member
OS

Re: juk not playing songs

Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:20 pm
i can see an error now. when i run juk from the command line and try to play a song, i get:

Code: Select all
TagLib: MPEG::Header::parse() -- Invalid sample rate.

not sure what that means.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:05 pm
The error message can be ignored.
Have you installed multimedia codecs? Make sure to install the Xine ones in particular.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
dreamz
Registered Member
OS

Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:15 am
do you know which ones in particular i should install? i'm trying to keep this system lean, so i'd rather not install a whole bunch of unnecessary ones.

edit: got it. i needed libxine1-ffmpeg.

but now i have a few more questions.

1. my keyboard shortcuts aren't sticking. whenever i set them, they get reset after i restart the program. i checked the jukrc file, and the shortcuts are properly set there. any ideas?
2. how can i make the playlist highlight selection jump to the current track? e.g., when i skip to the next track, i want that track to be highlighted in the playlist. right now, the playlist doesn't change.
3. when i search, i can play the song by hitting 'enter', but the search word remains. is there any way to clear the search upon hitting 'enter'?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:42 am
For 2) if you click the upwards pointing arrow in the status bar it will take you to the currently playing song.

For 1) Shortcuts are likely set elsewhere, check the permissions of ~/.kde4, including subfolders, especially share/apps/juk and share/config. It should be owned by your user ( id -un ) and group ( id -gn ) and writable by your user.

KDE Sysadmin
dreamz
Registered Member
OS

Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:07 pm
i'm guessing there's no way to jump automatically to the currently playing song.

i don't have a ~/.kde4 folder, but i do have a ~/.kde one, and the permissions are fine. i can see the shortcuts specified in the rc file. they just disappear from the shortcuts dialog when juk restarts. maybe it's a bug.
dreamz
Registered Member
OS

Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:21 pm
another quick question. i've added the 'bitrate' column to juk, but the bitrates seem to be wrong. i've already checked the files in foobar2000 in windows (removed all tags, fixed all mp3 headers) and the bitrates are correct there.

is this a problem with juk?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:51 am
If the bitrate is shown incorrectly, that could indicate a problem with TagLib. Make sure you only have one version of ID3 tags in your music files. eyeD3 should be able to help you here.

KDE Sysadmin
dreamz
Registered Member
OS

Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:42 pm
thanks, booksley. could there be a problem with the tags if i've already removed all of them with foobar2000 in windows?

i'll check out eyed3. is it possible to remove all the tags from all the files in a directory?

another question. for some reason, i'm having trouble with one mp3 file. when i play it, juk skips through fairly quickly, producing only noise (somewhat like scratching). the file works fine in windows.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:16 am
Can you play the offending MP3 with another KDE application such as Dragon Player? Also, which Phonon backend do you have selected? ( System Settings > Multimedia > Backends )

KDE Sysadmin
dreamz
Registered Member
OS

Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:55 pm
i tried to play the file with kaffeine (doesn't work), kmplayer (doesn't work), and vlc (works).

for the backend, i'm using xine. that's the only one available.

as for the tags, i'm not sure what's wrong. i removed all the tags with foobar2000, but the information for some songs is incorrect (usually bitrate, but sometimes length, too).
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:25 am
If you use the command "mpg123 /path/to/offending/mp3/file.mp3" do you get the file to play correctly?

KDE Sysadmin
dreamz
Registered Member
OS

Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:37 pm
yes, the song plays correctly when i use mpg123.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:09 pm
Does it play with other Xine powered applications such as xine-ui?

KDE Sysadmin
dreamz
Registered Member
OS

Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:09 am
i just tried xine-ui, and it does not work.