This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

sound works for some programs and not for others.

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
JasonKDE
Registered Member
OS
help!

Sorry if this has been brought up once before but i couldn't find anything like it.

This started just before updating to the newsest KDE so i'm not sure that it has anything to do with that.
Basically sound works for programs like Amarok or Dragon but not for Mozilla (so youtube, streaming music, etc) or games (World of Warcraft running with Wine, and Frozen bubble for example).

Kmix shows nothing muted and i checked that alas sounds thing in terminal (sorry new to this).

I have been running KDE since April and have not had any trouble with sound untill now.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by JasonKDE on Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neverendingo
Administrator
OS
Do you maybe have more than one soundcard installed on your computer?

New to KDE Software? - get help from Userbase or ask questions on the Forums
Communicate.
JasonKDE
Registered Member
OS

Re: Some sound work and some wont??

Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:28 pm
neverendingo wrote:Do you maybe have more than one soundcard installed on your computer?

well yes i have a sound card that wont with with the current alsa. but i'm not using it.

also this problem sort of cropped up out of nowhere. everything was good for the last few months..
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Do you have Pulseaudio of any form present on your system?
In the case of Firefox, it is likely that you need to remove libflashsupport if you do not have Pulseaudio in use.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
JasonKDE
Registered Member
OS
neverendingo wrote:Do you maybe have more than one soundcard installed on your computer?

Oops, ok i'm not sure why but my creative labs x-fi is now on and when i switched over the calbes the sounds started working.
Thanks a bunch!!
Traize
Registered Member
OS
hello I also have the same problem and I do have Pulseaudio on my computer but it said that it was not in use. I am very new to the kde world thanks for any help that you can give
jdthehutt
Registered Member
OS
Before you go doing ANYTHING, simply run Kmix and check if your PCM channel volume is at 0. They've messed up the default value and set it to 0 so you won't get sound out of certain applications. Just crank it up to max and it'll start working.