This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

.xsession-errors

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
kwlm
Registered Member
OS

.xsession-errors

Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:25 pm
Hi,

We are using an oracle webforms application and we are running this application on 1000+ sled10 pc's and 500+ windows machines.

On windows, the application is running very performant.
On gnome / twm /... on linux the application runs very performant.
On kde we have severe performance problems, especially when scrolling in the application (each time you move 1 record you lose 1 second or more), and when using the 'tab' key to go from 1 field to another.

The strangest thing is, we can solve the problem on kde by doing only a touch of the .xsession-errors trace file.
So boot machine / touch .xsession-errors / start application and the application is running very well.
(Also a tail -f .xsession-errors seems to work to increase performance)

The .xsession-errors file is not large (< 1 Mb) and has the necesarry read/write privileges.
We cannot understand why a 'touch' of a logfile can make the application go fast again.
So probably it is something else...

Has anybody has an idea?
Thanks for reading and helping to solve this mystery.

Thanks!

Kris Welleman
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Re: .xsession-errors

Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:07 am
Which version of KDE is the application being used with? Which environment is the application native to? You may wish to run strace on the application to determine which files it is accessing.

You may also wish to compare the environment variables between KDE and GNOME. Also, if you are using any compositing ( as in KDE 4 ) then you may wish to disable them.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
kwlm
Registered Member
OS

Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:59 am
Hi,

KDE version is 3.5.1.
Normally the application runs on windows. But according to oracle, it should run the same on linux.

I will use strace to look at the files accessed and compare the environment variables once again.

In the meantime we started up the environment in steps:
X with firefox --> application runs fine
Kwin --> application runs fine
ksmserver --> application becomes slow.
I have no idea which conclusion I can draw from this observation (I don't know exactly what ksmserver does, but it is alot I assume).
Are there tips/bugs known related with ksmserver?

Thanks!

Kris
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:43 pm
KSMServer is responsible for starting up the KDE session. It is more likely to be something that KSMServer itself starts. Try looking at the process list, and killing kded4, krunner, plasma-desktop, or klauncher.

You may wish to try disabling Nepomuk as well. Is there anything in "top" that shows high CPU usage?

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
kwlm
Registered Member
OS

Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:19 am
Hi,

Apparently it is the 'klipper' process.

When I kill this process, the application is running performantly.

Any suggestions besides disabling it competely?
I will try to trace the process with truss...

Thanks!

Kris
kwlm
Registered Member
OS

Re: .xsession-errors  Topic is solved

Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:07 am
Hi,

Problem solved when disabling klipper.

Thanks for the comments.

Kris