This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

DVDs look pixely with phonon-xine

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Kalinda
Registered Member
OS

DVDs look pixely with phonon-xine

Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:55 am
I was reluctant to post this here since this is a weird issue and I doubt I'll find any solution to it.

Whenever I play a DVD in a Phonon-based player with the xine backend, it looks all pixelled (screenshot) as oppose to looking smooth like it does with other players (screenshot from KDE3 version of Kaffeine)

I am using Arch Linux's optimized KDEMod and I've encountered this problem on three separate computers, one with Intel video and two with Nvidia. When I booted into my Kubuntu Hardy install on my desktop machine, I saw that this problem existed there in KDE 4.1. I should install Karmic there and see if the problem still exists.

Does anyone else have this issue? Does anyone know what causes it, any solutions, etc?

I could use a different backend, but really xine is the most fully functional of the ones offered and it works fine for everything else.

Thanks!
phil3k
Registered Member
OS
Exact same problem here.

I use KDE 4.3.2 on Mandriva 2010.0 and recently switched from phonon-gstreamer to phonon-xine (missed the dvd menus ;-)). Now DVDs look "blocky", no matter which phonon-based player I use (Kaffeine, Dragon Player). Using gxine or xine without a GUI (other than the integrated one) looks fine.

Of course I looked for video options of some kind (deinterlacing, post-processing...) but found none! Is it just me or can't phonon-xine be configured in any way? In Control Center->Computer Administration->Multimedia I can only choose a backend, not configure it, and neither Dragon Player nor Kaffeine seem to have any options (which seems weird, since the KDE3-Kaffeine had them).

Hope anyone can help, thanks in advance!
Kalinda
Registered Member
OS
Yay! (well ok, I guess not). It's good to know I'm not alone, although this seems to be an odd problem because I doubt it's occurring for most people...

There must be something causing it. Do you have an Nvidia or Intel video card?
phil3k
Registered Member
OS

Re: DVDs look pixely with phonon-xine

Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:12 am
Yupp, Intel video card.
I have no idea how to track down this problem - it's obviously a bug in phonon-xine, since it doesn't occur when using phonon-gstreamer or xine alone...
Kalinda
Registered Member
OS
Yeah, it must be. And I am gonna guess it only happens on Intel or Nvidia video cards... or rather, their drivers. I should try switching over to the generic nv driver on my machine and seeing what happens with it.

At least with extra info I can better report the bug.

However, one would think if my theory is correct, a lot more people would be having this issue.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
If it does not occur with standard Xine, then it is unlikely to be graphics driver related.

Try replacing the file ~/.config/kde.org/Phonon-Xine.xine.conf with your appropriate xine.conf file.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Kalinda
Registered Member
OS
Hmm... that seems like it should've worked, but it didn't, unfortunately. It's even weirder considering that both the Phonon-xine and the Xine config files weren't exactly the same, so that ought to have worked.

Regardless, here's both files.

xine config
phonon-xine config
phil3k
Registered Member
OS
I had no ~/.config/kde.org/Phonon-Xine.xine.conf on my system... however, copying my ~/.xine/config to this file didn't help.

So maybe this isn't just a configuration issue... or is there some other place where phonon looks for xine's config?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Those files are fine, the issue must lay in Phonon. I know it has some capabilities to alter the output stream.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Kalinda
Registered Member
OS
I see... well, I suppose I should report it as a bug. I've held off until now because it looks like it doesn't effect most people.... or everyone just doesn't use Phonon o-o
sandsmark
KDE Developer
OS
It seems like Xine doesn't manage to load the XCB-enabled XV-output, and fall backs to the XSHM one.

Please file a bug with your distro, and ask them to check that they have all the build-time dependencies satisfied for Xine (Christophe Thommeret suggests libxcb-xv-dev as a likely missing candidate).

(You can also test with `xine -V xshm` to see if you get the same blocky output.)

Thanks to Christophe Thommeret for the ideas. :-)

Kalinda
Registered Member
OS
Thanks! I am actually using the Arch Linux, the same distro as you, I see. Except I'm using KDEMod/Chakra, so maybe it's something they've done. I shall try to compile Phonon-xine (perhaps the devel version) from the AUR and see if that works.

Anyway I tried running Xine with that command and DVD playback is fine. DVD playback works great with regular Xine video players; it only looks blocky with Phonon-xine.
phil3k
Registered Member
OS
Thanks for looking into this!

Sounds like you're right, `xine -V xshm` produces blocky output as well. However libxcb (+devel) is installed on my system, and so is libxcb-xv0 - but there is no dev-package for that one.
sandsmark
KDE Developer
OS

Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:04 pm
The dev packages need to be installed when building xine-lib.

I haven't had time to look into why it doesn't work on Arch yet, sorrry.

Kalinda
Registered Member
OS

Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:47 pm
*nods* That's ok, it's not a really important thing for me. It's nice to know that someone who is a Chakra developer might be able to help me out, though :)