This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KDE captures sound card. Any alternative?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Felipe
Registered Member
Hallo:

OpenSuse 11.2, Kde 4.3.1 releas 6.

When I play any file (ex, amarok) kde captures sound card and no other program can use it.

Is there any alternative for using sound card by different sources?

I use virtual machines and if I'm playing mp3 in the host, I can't play files in virtual machines.

I've heard about a project to solve this, but I don't remember it's name and if it is already available.

Thanks
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Pulseaudio commonly can cause issues such as this. You may also wish to check that DMix is correctly configured.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Felipe
Registered Member
I'm not sure what audio device I'm using.
My selection is Autodetect.

Does any of the others options allow me to share audio device between KDE and virtual machines?

Thanks
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
This should happen by default. It is the responsibility of your distributor to ensure that the appropriate systems to allow multiple programs to use the audio device are set up.

This system is called DMix, and is part of ALSA. It can only be configured by editing configuration files. If Pulseaudio is running ( pidof pulseaudio returns a number ) then please kill it.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]