This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

No image previews in Dolphin

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
wikwanderlust
Registered Member
OS

No image previews in Dolphin

Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:56 am
Hello. 2nd topic started here. Just a quick (probably stupid) question. I used to use Kubuntu, and when I did, Dolphin would load image previews automatically. In openSUSE, I have to click on the preview button to load them. Minor problem, I know, but I'd like to know how to fix it. I get the same problem in Konqueror, by the way.

Anyway, I'm off to bed in a few minutes, and I'll check for responses in the morning. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
fbt
Registered Member
OS

Re: No image previews in Dolphin

Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:33 pm
Is the preview option selected? It maybe defaulted off in OpenSuse.
wikwanderlust
Registered Member
OS

Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:33 pm
Thanks for the reply, and sorry for not getting back sooner (crazy hectic). Anyway, I checked, and as far as I can tell, It's selected. In Dolphin, I go to Settings>Configure Dolphin>General>Previews, and the following choices are selected,,,"Directories, Images, Jpeg, Video Files" There's also a check box for "Use thumbnails embedded in files" which is checked by default, but I have tried both ways. Thanks for the suggestion, I appreciate it.
Hans
Administrator
OS

Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:48 pm
wikwanderlust wrote:I have to click on the preview button to load them.

You mean the one in the toolbar? After clicking on it, image previews are loaded as expected?

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
wikwanderlust
Registered Member
OS

Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:56 pm
Yes and yes.
Hans
Administrator
OS
Hm, then I don't see the problem. That button toggles "Preview" (View -> Preview). If it isn't "pressed", Dolphin won't show any previews.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
wikwanderlust
Registered Member
OS

Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:26 pm
Well, upon restart, the problem is solved, Every day upon booting up the computer, I'd click the preview button, and the previews would show, but when I restarted, I'd have to repeat the process. I did not think to try to go to view>preview and check it there. Upon restarting I find I have previews. Hopefully next time I come up with a problem, it's a bit more serious, and the solution less embarrassingly simple. Thanks again Hans; You're 2 for 2 on solving my "problems".
Hans
Administrator
OS

Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:43 pm
Hehe, no problem. So the problem was that the setting was forgotten? That sounds like a real problem to me, hope it's solved now.
If not, you know where to ask. ;)

fbt
Registered Member
OS

Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:59 pm
If you turn off previews, the next time you start Dolphin it will still be turned off.
annew
Manager
OS

Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:26 pm
Just wondering whether you know about setting the default view? Dolphin > View > Adjust View Properties. Anything that you set there, for any of the three views, will be the default for that view. So if you use previews a lot, make sure that it's selected there.

annew, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct and a KDE user since 2002.
Join us on http://userbase.kde.org