This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Recording Streaming audio?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
John.Michael.Kane
Registered Member

Recording Streaming audio?

Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:10 pm
Currently trying to set up audacity for recording audio from web, however. Using either xine or gstreamer phonbackends does not allow audacity recording.

The installation of pulseaudio, along with nearly complete Gnome environment allowed audacity to receive audio for recording under KDE.

Are there any methods to accomplish this with KDE, without having to install a full Gnome environment?
neverendingo
Administrator
OS

Re: Recording Streaming audio?

Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:25 pm
Unfortunately Audacity is no KDE application. So it doesn't rely on the phonon backend, as gnome doesn't use it. Why it is dependant on many gnome parts i can't tell though.

New to KDE Software? - get help from Userbase or ask questions on the Forums
Communicate.
John.Michael.Kane
Registered Member

Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:58 pm
neverendingo wrote:Unfortunately Audacity is no KDE application. So it doesn't rely on the phonon backend, as gnome doesn't use it. Why it is dependant on many gnome parts i can't tell though.

I understand Audacity is not KDE application, however. KDE does not include a sound recording application thus the use of Audacity.

So, installing pulse-audio, and all the dependencies the only way to record audio on KDE, since Audacity, does not interact with phonon-backends KDE uses?
neverendingo
Administrator
OS

Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:05 pm
Unfortunately, at this stage, yes.

New to KDE Software? - get help from Userbase or ask questions on the Forums
Communicate.
John.Michael.Kane
Registered Member

Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:11 pm
neverendingo wrote:Unfortunately, at this stage, yes.

Thanks for your time on this matter.

By the way. Do you happen to know, if there are any plans for KDE to have methods for recording?
marger10
Banned

Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:03 am
I use cool record edit deluxe it works great! I guess try one more piece of software then you will find out if its your hardware.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cheap International Calling | plastic surgery beverly hills | MMA Gloves

Last edited by marger10 on Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:04 am
marger10 wrote:I use cool record edit deluxe it works great! I guess try one more piece of software then you will find out if its your hardware.

Which is for Windows only and proprietary software. Think twice before posting such suggestions. There really is enough choice in Linux, no need to propose that one.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
gerard82
Registered Member
OS

Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:26 pm
I use audacity to record streams w/o problems.
I've set device to alsa.
Of course there are parts of gnome,like gtk,installed.
You'll have to check what controls in kmix need to be set.
And in audacity you have to set the input.
Gerard.

Gentoo Linux.
Always up to date.