This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

3 - 4.3.4 Systems, 2 Unable to 'enable' KTTSD. Why?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
jpwhiting
KDE Developer
OS
icastanheiro,

You'll need speech-dispatcher as well. Unfortunately speech-dispatcher in openSUSE is a bit outdated, I'm trying to get newer packages into the build service, but haven't had any luck so far. I'll let you know when they are in there. For now you can use the existing version 0.6.7 I believe.
lcastanheiro
Registered Member
OS
Jpwhiting,

Thank you for replying. I appreciate your help.
I have Speech-dispatcher installed version 0.6.7-1.9. However, the Kttsmgr starts lists the KTTSD as not runing. When I click add talkers the control module is empty there is nothingto add.
I am not sure what to do.
Luis
jpwhiting
KDE Developer
OS
try running speech-dispatcher from the krunner dialog (alt-f2) or from a terminal. If it wont run, try running spd-conf (part of speech-dispatcher-configure openSUSE package) from a terminal. It will guide you through setting up speech-dispatcher as a user. I personally use espeak and pulse, but you can set up speech-dispatcher to have any defaults you like. Once speech-dispatcher is running, jovie/ktts should be able to connect to it and allow you to change things (from the jobs tab).
lcastanheiro
Registered Member
OS
Jpwhiting,

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate all your help. I did as you instructed but could not get it to run. It seems taht I got an error. I am trying to learn Linux as much as i can but i am still very inexperienced. Below is a copy form the terminal window. It looks like that there is some kind of error. I am not sure what to do.

please help.

Luis

luis@linux-lvvf:~> spd-conf
Speech Dispatcher configuration tool
Do you want to setup a completely new configuration? [yes] :
>
Do you want to create/setup a 'user' or 'system' configuration [user] :
>
Creating /home/luis/.speech-dispatcher
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/spd-conf", line 6, in <module>
import speechd_config
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/speechd_config/__init__.py", line 17, in <module>
from config import *
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/speechd_config/config.py", line 989, in <module>
main()
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/speechd_config/config.py", line 976, in main
configure.complete_config()
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/speechd_config/config.py", line 887, in complete_config
self.create_user_configuration()
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/speechd_config/config.py", line 778, in create_user_configuration
shutil.copytree(paths.SPD_CONF_ORIG_PATH, test.user_conf_dir())
File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/shutil.py", line 140, in copytree
names = os.listdir(src)
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/usr/share/speech-dispatcher/conf'
luis@linux-lvvf:~>
Ignacio Serantes
Registered Member
OS
lcastanheiro wrote:Jpwhiting,

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate all your help. I did as you instructed but could not get it to run. It seems taht I got an error. I am trying to learn Linux as much as i can but i am still very inexperienced. Below is a copy form the terminal window. It looks like that there is some kind of error. I am not sure what to do.

please help.

Luis

luis@linux-lvvf:~> spd-conf
Speech Dispatcher configuration tool
Do you want to setup a completely new configuration? [yes] :
>
Do you want to create/setup a 'user' or 'system' configuration [user] :
>
Creating /home/luis/.speech-dispatcher
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/spd-conf", line 6, in <module>
import speechd_config
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/speechd_config/__init__.py", line 17, in <module>
from config import *
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/speechd_config/config.py", line 989, in <module>
main()
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/speechd_config/config.py", line 976, in main
configure.complete_config()
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/speechd_config/config.py", line 887, in complete_config
self.create_user_configuration()
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/speechd_config/config.py", line 778, in create_user_configuration
shutil.copytree(paths.SPD_CONF_ORIG_PATH, test.user_conf_dir())
File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/shutil.py", line 140, in copytree
names = os.listdir(src)
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/usr/share/speech-dispatcher/conf'
luis@linux-lvvf:~>

Ktts don't works on openSUSE. speech-dispatch works in my system, so spd-say works, but ktts don't. I have the same configuration problem like you and seems to be a bug in packages. I'm using openSUSE 11.3 64 with KDE stable, currently labeled as 4.4.4.

By the way I'm trying time to time to configure Ktts since KDE 4 changes without success. As far as I know is totally broken, at least in openSUSE.

Ignacio Serantes, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
@lcastanheiro: Try installing "speech-dispatcher" using YaST as it provides the file which is missing.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Ignacio Serantes
Registered Member
OS
bcooksley wrote:@lcastanheiro: Try installing "speech-dispatcher" using YaST as it provides the file which is missing.

This don't solve the problem, at least in openSUSE 11.3. Neither speech-dispatcher, speech-dispatcher-configure or speech-dispatcher-module-speak packages have files to install in '/usr/share/speech-dispatcher/conf'.

Ignacio Serantes, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.
lcastanheiro
Registered Member
OS
bcooksley, Thank you for your reply.

In fact I had speech-dispatcher installed with YaST. After yourpost I deleted and reinstalled teh speech-dispatcher with YaST. Same problem, I can't add any talkers.

I alsoo searched my system and saw that I have installed Espeak and festival. but still KTTSD does not run and the manager is unable to add the talkers.

What should i do next?

Thank you.

Luis
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Seems like a bug in the opensuse packages in that case... please file a bug at bugzilla.novell.com

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
jpv
Registered Member
Can someone please test if the instructions at this link solves the problem?
http://forums.pcbsd.org/showthread.php?t=3415