This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

3 - 4.3.4 Systems, 2 Unable to 'enable' KTTSD. Why?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Landis
Banned
OS
Hello,
First, what sncks is that the one ws that works, I didn't setup KTTS on, well not on purpose anyway. ??? lol
I have, at home 5 openSuSE 11.x systems running one running 10.3/3.5 one running 11.1/4.11.3 and 3 running 11.2/4.3.4.
I'm only talking about the 3 with 4.3.4 here.
One reads the time every hour and I didn't even know I asked it to... it's ok
the other two (2) don't that i am aware of.
On the 2 that may not read the time, I've tried many times to get KTTS working.. The 'KTTSD Manual' seems to leave out a) how to start the deamon and b) how to add voices
docs.KDE.org wrote:"... kttsmgr, the Talkers screen appears. This screen also automatically appears if you start kttsmgr and you have not yet configured any talkers."
again, nothing on how to 'add a talker' if one is not listed.. Believe me, i've been through the options and unless you were to know the ext of the 'talker' files... they're not there.
Ok,, On the KTTSmgr screen, the ability to 'Enable Text-to-Speech System (KTTSD)' is 'grayed out...
I can Not find any helpful information on 1) enabling the deamon, 2) adding a 'Talker' 3) ... Well 1 and 2 are enough right now...

HeLp Please.

Again, it's All set up on my,,, let's see,,, first 11.2 / 4.3.4 workstation and i Know I didn't set it up.. now that I want it on my 2nd and 3rd 11.2/4.3.4 workstation, you know the ones I use the most to code all day, yeh, those two... I can't get the job done, on purpose... Why?????
LOL (at myself)

Thanks in advance,
Спасибо,
Landis.

Last edited by Landis on Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Landis
Banned
OS
Playing around...
On the newest install (IBM openSuSE 11.2 / KDE 4.3.4) I set the clock to 'speak the time' every 1 minute and when the first minute passed, I got this error box "KTTS Not Configured: KTTS has not yet been configured. At least one Talker must be configured. Would you like to configure it now?" with standard Do not ask again and the two button choice: Configure and Do Not Configure... Configure unfortunately takes me right back to System Settings> Accessibility> Tex-to-Speech... Now what?

Landis.
Landis
Banned
OS
Tried this in console, as my user:
linux->kttsd (it just returned to prompt, No error)
linux->dcop kttsd KSpeech setText "this sncks" "en"
ERROR: Couldn't attach to DCOP server!
linux->

I tried twice, just in case i miss typed..
Nope.
I tried as su, again, Nope.

Landis.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
I would recommend checking that you have a voice system such as Festival installed on the systems concerned.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
lueck
Mentor
Requirements for kttsd:
speech-dispatcher
A speech synthesizer like Espeak or Festival

Does your system comply with these requirements?
jpwhiting
KDE Developer
OS
Landis,

Sorry for the trouble you are having with kttsd. It was unfortunately unmaintained until recently. I can try to help you get it working with your 4.3.x install, but I don't actually recommend it as it's very buggy. With 4.4 I rewrote a lot of it so it now just wraps speech-dispatcher. speech-dispatcher can work with espeak, festival, and many other speech synthesizers.

To answer the "why is the checkbox grey" question, you needed to have at least one talker set up in the 4.3.x version. You can do that by going to the talkers tab, and clicking the "Add Talker" button on the right.

To answer the "why is my computer speaking the time" question, you can change that from each clock's settings dialog (right click a clock in your panel and choose clock settings, then uncheck the "speak time" checkbox in the "General" tab.

I hope you are pleasantly surprised when 4.4 comes out and a lot of these problems are fixed. I hope they are not just replaced with other problems speech-dispatcher itself may have =)

One more thing, the handbook that was shipped with 4.3.x is terribly out of date and has been cleaned up a lot for the 4.4 release. One thing that somehow stayed in the old manual is the mention of dcop, but kde doesn't use dcop at all since 3.x series, hehe.
Landis
Banned
OS
Thank you guys (gals),
bcooksley wrote:I would recommend checking that you have a voice system such as Festival installed on the systems concerned.

I made the assumption that it would be installed if needed by KTTS[D]..
I knew nothing about it on my first 11.x system, but it's all there????
Earlier, I was looking around in 'usr/share/kde4/..... and found files named *festival* and voices, but the configuration app for KTTS [mgr] would not deal with them..

Thanks, installing festival now.
Спасибо,
Landis.
Landis
Banned
OS
Hello JP, very pleased to meet you and am very impressed to hear from the coder.

jpwhiting wrote:Landis,

Sorry for the trouble you are having with kttsd. It was unfortunately unmaintained until recently. I can try to help you get it working with your 4.3.x install, but I don't actually recommend it as it's very buggy. With 4.4 I rewrote a lot of it so it now just wraps speech-dispatcher.....

I just updated my 11.2 openSuSE / KDE 4.3.4 systems. Can I just put a repository that contains the new 4.4 version of KTTSD in my repo mgr and 'upgrade' it that way or do I HAVE to update all of my KDE to 4.4?

Thank you in advance,
Landis.
p.s. I rushing, so as far as I know, you've already answered this in your post... Just needed to say Thanks right away,,, To all,
Landis.
Landis
Banned
OS
JPWhiting,
using YaST2 found the festival package and installed.
go figure, there's a voice, but it's still silent.
yep.. buggy... I was installing 'festival' while I wrote the above..
Config>add voice> Test> Crash.. Have KDE debug loaded so set report..

LOL
Landis.
p.s., seemed like it was doing something during the test, but no voice then crash.

Last edited by Landis on Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jpwhiting
KDE Developer
OS
Landis wrote:Hello JP, very pleased to meet you and am very impressed to hear from the coder.

jpwhiting wrote:Landis,

Sorry for the trouble you are having with kttsd. It was unfortunately unmaintained until recently. I can try to help you get it working with your 4.3.x install, but I don't actually recommend it as it's very buggy. With 4.4 I rewrote a lot of it so it now just wraps speech-dispatcher.....

I just updated my 11.2 openSuSE / KDE 4.3.4 systems. Can I just put a repository that contains the new 4.4 version of KTTSD in my repo mgr and 'upgrade' it that way or do I HAVE to update all of my KDE to 4.4?

Landis,

KDE 4.4 will be released in february of this year. There will be a second release candidate in a few days. I believe opensuse build service has a repository you can use to install ktts from one of the release candidates, but I'm not sure about the details. Anyone familiar with opensuse should be able to let you know how to do that.
Kryten2X4B
Registered Member
OS
Landis wrote:I just updated my 11.2 openSuSE / KDE 4.3.4 systems. Can I just put a repository that contains the new 4.4 version of KTTSD in my repo mgr and 'upgrade' it that way or do I HAVE to update all of my KDE to 4.4?

You need to update all of KDE. The current version of kttsd in the factory repos require at least 4.3.90 (AKA 4.4 RC1) of kdebase4-runtime. So, if you try to upgrade kttsd only from yast you will be asked to upgrade quite a few other packages as well. You can ignore that, but I would _strongly_ advice against that.

OpenSUSE 11.4, 64-bit with KDE 4.6.4
Proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
Landis
Banned
OS
JPW,
I found KTTSD 4.4 here, at openSuSE:

Thanks for pushing me to look, sometimes it's just too easy to ask.
Landis
Landis
Banned
OS
Kryten2X4B wrote:...You need to update all of KDE. The current version of kttsd in the factory repos require at least 4.3.90 (AKA 4.4 RC1) of kdebase4-runtime. So, if you try to upgrade kttsd only from yast you will be asked to upgrade quite a few other packages as well. You can ignore that, but I would _strongly_ advice against that.

Thank you for both your help and advice,
I'll have to give it some thought... Working 'production' ws or screw around with a beta tts i don't need????
What to do...lol

Landis
Ignacio Serantes
Registered Member
OS
About current chantes in KTTS subsystem. I think that remove command support was a mistake because there is no support to asian languages in linux.

I'm using WINE + SAPI5 to speech in Japanese and with current changes I can't integrate my scripts with KTTS.

Ignacio Serantes, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.
lcastanheiro
Registered Member
OS
Hi guys, I am having similar problem.

I am running open suse 11.3 and KDE4.4.4. I installed KTTSD with Yast, but i can't get it to run. When loading KTTSMngr, i not able to add a talker.

I check the packages I have installed and I have booth Espeak or Festival

installed.Since I just migrated from windows I do not know much about linux yet.

Please help.

Thank you