This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

ksnapshot 4:4.3.4-1+b1 problems

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
dbbolton
Registered Member
OS

ksnapshot 4:4.3.4-1+b1 problems

Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:15 pm
I've noticed recently that the "region" mode seems to me broken with ksnapshot, version 4:4.3.4-1+b1 in Debian squeeze. After pressing either Esc or Return, absolutely nothing happens. The only way I can get my desktop back is to open a tty and run kill $(pidof ksnapshot). I think I first noticed this about a week ago, but on a fresh installation of squeeze, the problem persists.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Re: ksnapshot 4:4.3.4-1+b1 problems

Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:57 am
I just tested Region mode and it works here on Trunk.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
dbbolton
Registered Member
OS

Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:39 am
I suppose I will try using another window manager to see if Openbox is interfering with the key grabbing.
annew
Manager
OS

Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:19 am
I can confirm that it works well here in Fedora/4.4. However, it was broken in a recent version (4.3, I think) in that it would work once, but if you tried to do a second snapshot you got the freeze described here. It sounds as though Debian possibly has the older version.

annew, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct and a KDE user since 2002.
Join us on http://userbase.kde.org
RGB
Registered Member
OS

Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:29 am
In fact I've seen this happen with 4.3.1 on openSUSE 11.2, but now with 4.3.5 it (seems to) work OK: just yesterday I used the "area" four times in a row without problems.

RGB, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.
And proud to be a kde user since 1.1.2
dbbolton
Registered Member
OS

Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:02 pm
I tried using ksnapshot in wmii, and I didn't have any problems.

I tried to reproduce the problem in Openbox, but it didn't happen that time. So I don't know what the problem was.
jahnzee
Registered Member
OS

Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:27 pm
Sorry to bring a dead topic back to life, but I accidentally reproduced this problem on openSUSE 11.2 using KDE 4.3.1 "release 6" when trying to take a snapshot of a <select> element in Firefox. Dunno if it's FF or ksnapshot causing the problem... I can take region snapshots all day, but as soon as I try to take a screenshot of an expanded <select> element, ksnapshot freezes.

Steps to reproduce:
1) open Firefox, go to any site with a select element (a drop-down).
2) hit printscreen
3) tell ksnapshot to take a delayed snapshot (in 3 seconds, for example) with capture mode Region
4) go to Firefox, expand the select (i.e. click it)
5) wait for ksnapshot to take a snapshot
6) ksnapshot will take over and will not respond to Enter or ESC

The only way I found to get my computer back is to open a terminal (using a key combo, I use ctrl+alt+t but that's my combo) and type:

killall ksnapshot

The terminal's there, and it is accepting keystrokes, you just can't see it because ksnapshot is on top of it.
Hans
Administrator
OS

Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:28 pm
jahnzee wrote:Sorry to bring a dead topic back to life, but I accidentally reproduced this problem [...]

I can reproduce this on KDE SC 4.4.4. I also tried with the location bar in Dolphin (in Edit mode, expand the drop down) and found the same problem. Wonder if it's related to Bug 70063?

Tip: one way to quit region mode is to double click on the region. This is the same as pressing Enter.

jahnzee, if this hasn't been reported on http://bugs.kde.org, could you please file a bug report and include your steps to reproduce? And don't forget to post the URL to the bug here afterwards. ;)

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
jahnzee
Registered Member
OS

Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:08 pm
Thanks for the double-click tip. I'll remember that.

The other thing that works for me is to type sleep 3; ksnapshot in a terminal, then use the 3 second delay to expand the drop-down.

I added a comment to this bug:

http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=240746