This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Restart Audio in KDE

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
jojohippo
Registered Member

Restart Audio in KDE

Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:41 pm
Hi, I'm using KDE 4.4 and Kubuntu 9.10. Once in a while my audio just stops working. Sometimes I get a pop-up that tells me that "The audio playback device HDA Intel (alc861 analogue) does not work falling back to". I don't know why this happens but it doesn't happen too often and when I restart my computer everything works again.

Is there a way to restart just Phonon to get it working again without having to restart my computer. Thanks.
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Re: Restart Audio in KDE

Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:55 pm
This most likely happens because you are using Pulseaudio, which is not intended to be used with Kubuntu 9.10 or any previous version of Kubuntu. If you do not use Gnome, you can remove it safely with the following instructions:

1. install the phonon-backend-xine and the kubuntu-restricted-extras packages,
2. in the systemsettings->Multimedia, push pulseaudio to the bottom,
3. in the Backend tab, setthe phonon backend to use xine,
4. remove the $HOME/.kde/share/config/phonondevicesrc file and restart KDE.

That should do the trick.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
jojohippo
Registered Member

Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:44 pm
Actually I'd already removed all the pulseaudio packages but I've done your suggestions. Now I'll have to wait and see. If the problem persists, I'll post again... Thanks.
inigong
Registered Member
OS

Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:18 am
Maybe you would want to look these steps shared in Ubuntu forum

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.p ... 55591.html It really helped me fix my issues like yours.

Edit by moderator: No advertising, please
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:22 am
inigong wrote:Maybe you would want to look these steps shared in Ubuntu forum
http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.p ... 55591.html It really helped me fix my issues like yours.

I strongly advise against this solution, since it is

a. complicated to setup,
b. subject to many flaws and frequently has to be corrected by editing/removing configuration files,
c. Not the intended behavior on Kubuntu anyway.

Just to make this clear: KDE on Kubuntu does not use or need Pulseaudio.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...