This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Sound issues

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
squall
Registered Member

Sound issues

Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:42 pm
Hey, I'm not really familiar with Linux, and I've tried searching everywhere to fix this problem. The sound doesn't work, every time I try to increase the volume, like with my keyboard, I keep getting the message 'It seems that Kmix is not working'. Checked KDE Control Center, sound is enabled, under hardware I have tried everything under 'Select Audio Device' and still nothing works.

This isn't my computer, and me and my friends aren't all that great with Linux. The only one who was, who installed and set everything up on this computer, moved away and we have no contact with him(not that anyone probably cares, just saying. And we have no real way of getting another OS at the moment either)

Currently using KDE 3.5.10.

Again, we are not all that familiar with Linux, so if you guys need to know something else about my settings, or if you just know of a way to fix this, would you mind telling us how to do it in detail?
annew
Manager
OS

Re: Sound issues

Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:41 pm
At the moment we have nothing to go on. Start by trying to find what your sound device actually is. From konsole you should be able to run 'kinfocenter' and read about the hardware in your system. It might help, too, if you tell us what distro (brand of Linux) you are using.

annew, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct and a KDE user since 2002.
Join us on http://userbase.kde.org
Brian
Registered Member
OS

Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:48 pm
Same problem):-( No sound @ all I'm running KDE 4.4 ie. openSUSE 11.2on a Mac mini(intel)it is about a year old. Can anyone help please?
onemystic
Registered Member
OS

Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:51 am
One problem that I have had in openSUSE with sound is the way Yast sets it up. If you are running openSUSE you can got to YAST and open the sound configuration. In the right corner click on the "Other" dropdown box and select Volume. You can check the system volume settings against your Kmix settings. Sometimes after an upgrade, the volume for some devices like PCM are set to zero. If that isn't it, you can delete the sound configuration and set it up again. That has also worked for me. I also make sure that Pulse is not enabled (personal preference). Good luck.
rubentje1991
Registered Member
OS

Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:54 pm
You can also try to open a Konsole window and type there:
Code: Select all
kmix

Copy the output of it here (or say that there's no output - but I think there nearly always is some... :| )

If the sound never works anywhere, and you try running sound via Alsa, then run
Code: Select all
alsaconf
, and select there your primary soundcard...

using PCLinuxOS 2010.7 KDE Version