This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Volume jumps to 100% on KDE startup in KDE 4.4.0-4.4.1

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
dwightpaige79
Registered Member
OS
Don't know if this is best place to post about this...

Also let me admit that I clearly don't know or understand enough about sound issues in Linux. This post is to try to better pin down [with me learning in the process]:

1. What is the cause of the problem?

2. What approach to take to correct it?

In KDE 4.4.0 [Mandriva 2010.0 x86_64] and KDE 4.4.1 [Fedora 12 x86_64]. When I log out and log back in or reboot when KDE starts sound volume levels jump to painfully loud 100% in KMix and pavucontrol. Why is this? Is this a KDE, pulseaudio, or alsa issue? As per example I believe that openSuSE 11.2 does not use pulseaudio by default for KDE apps [it does for Gnome]. I can confirm that this sound jumping to 100% on boot/login does not happen in My openSuSE/KDE 4.4.1 partition. I checked and so far pulseaudio is not even installed in my openSuSE/KDE 4.4.1.

Work around is to disable or remove pulseaudio:

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthrea ... 705&page=2

That doesn't necessarily mean that pulseaudio is at fault or does it? Could this be a driver issue?

Some info [using 'alsa-info.sh --no-upload' in Fedora 12 as example]:

http://pastebin.ca/1836135

What steps could I take or information could I provide to get to the bottom of this issue?

Thanks,
Dwight Paige
toad
Global Moderator
OS
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Pulseaudio when present will control the sound hardware settings, sounds like in this case it is restoring them to the incorrect values ( it should save the state ). As such Pulseaudio is at fault here.

Please run the following:

Code: Select all
pactl list

Make sure "module-device-manager", "module-device-restore", "module-stream-restore" and "module-card-restore" are present.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]