This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Newbie wiith Win7 swamped by downloaded apps

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
RustyRiley
Registered Member
OS
Hi everyone, I'm a new user, living in Dunedin, New Zealand. I'm TOTALLY new to KDE and Linux distros (?) but am giving it a go, on a Windows 7 system with KDE for Windows. I've recently been trying out RawTherapee, a Windows app, and a Photo RAW file editor, on the user forum of which someone suggested that if someone was "only" interested in Depth of Field then he should get DigiKam, which I've done (I think, after 6-7 attempts to download stuff, finally replying "ignore" to the last message, only to see it proceed, apparently successfully -- que??). Anyhow, I am using V4.4 of KDE for Windows. I went through what I thought was the procedure and ended up, initially, with a lot of smaller desktop applications (after "asking" for I got the English language Office pack -- hey, have to make sure the apps I get are in English don't I -- being, only, English speaking). Well, now I seem to have "successfully" downloaded and installed digiKam and showFoto -- haven't had a look yet at digiKam, but showFoto looks absolutely great!!! Learning more about "photography" (image analysis and manipulation) than I ever knew existed before.

Problem is, along the way I seem to have collected over 600Mb in application files -- not including any photos of my own yet, and I'd like to try to keep as much of my hard disk free, for photos, videos etc, as I can.

How can I make sure that when I go to delete ?unnecessary apps that I don't want that I won't delete anything I really need for the graphics apps - I seem to have also, somehow, along the way, picked up things like educational apps, games apps, Akonadi console, and a selection of Internet apps, and Utilies, as well as the Office apps -- not things I wanted or need.

Best wishes, and thanks in anticipation,
(sorry for cross-posting to the General group, but it seems to cross both areas).

RustyRiley
Dunedin, New Zealand