This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

"Starting KTTSD Failed" message keeps appearing

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
chamness439
Registered Member
OS
About every three minutes when I'm in an open application in OpenSUSE the little dialog box stating "Starting KTTSD Failed" appears, dimming everything else on the KDE desktop until I delete it. It comes back over and over and over. How do I get rid of it? I removed KTTSD already, because it wouldn't let me manage its properties.

KTTSD wont start.jpeg How do I paste this screen shot?

Last edited by chamness439 on Sun May 02, 2010 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Michael F. Chamness
618 - 2nd St.
Montpelier, ND 58472
(701) 489-3638
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Can you please provide a screenshot of this error message?

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
chamness439
Registered Member
OS
Thank you for your prompt reply and interest:

I have a screen shot: file:///home/mike/Pictures/KTTSD wont start.jpeg
but I don't know how to upload it to this site. Please tell me how to display it.

Also, the little dialog box has a push pin in the top information bar, when I click on it, it changes position from "side view" to "rear end view". This thing seems to be some kind of widget, but I can't eliminate it using the widget menus. I've deleted KTTSD through YaST, one of the other posts in a different forum said to "load Festival" so I tried that, but nothing happened. I had loaded KTTSD in a former install of OpenSUSE 11.2 and the only way I could get rid of it (I couldn't get it to work correctly and didn't need it) was to wipe the hard drive and reinstall OpenSUSE. But apparently it was lurking on the hard drive or the installation disk. Maybe I should get a new installation disk and start over again!

Michael F. Chamness
618 - 2nd St.
Montpelier, ND 58472
(701) 489-3638
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
I would recommend uploading it to a site such as ImageBin, then posting the link here... reinstalling shouldn't be needed however.

KDE Sysadmin
chamness439
Registered Member
OS
I couldn't get that image site to work, but I uploaded the screen shot to my "My Space" page. If you want to register as a "friend" there, you can see the screen shot. I'm at My Space as "chamness439". I don't know the procedure for your getting in there, maybe I need to send you an email or something.

The FAQ page says that its possible to have attachments to items here. Does that include these forums? If so, please tell me how to do that.

Michael F. Chamness
618 - 2nd St.
Montpelier, ND 58472
(701) 489-3638
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Due to space and security concerns we disabled the ability to post attachments.
Can you send the screenshot directly to me? My email address is listed on my forum profile page: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=21

KDE Sysadmin
chamness439
Registered Member
OS
Your email address is not visible on your profile - perhaps its just not visible to me. Sorry if I'm turning into a pain. I have the voice feature on Yahoo messenger, as well as a web cam, if any of that is helpful. I might have to switch over to Windows in order to use either, however. I also have Skype, all under the same i.d., chamness439.

Michael F. Chamness
618 - 2nd St.
Montpelier, ND 58472
(701) 489-3638
chamness439
Registered Member
OS
Gee, I sure feel stupid. I lost your email by going back to your profile page to see if your email address appeared, it hasn't. I guess I misunderstood your email - I thought you had said you had added the email address. How about just sending me an email directly - michael@chamness-machina.com or you can use the easier - chamness@daktel.com - they both come into the same place. Just send an email with your own email as sender, no topic necessary.

Michael F. Chamness
618 - 2nd St.
Montpelier, ND 58472
(701) 489-3638
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Got the snapshot, thanks. Could you please verify that the clock doesn't have "Speak Time" in "General" enabled?

KDE Sysadmin
chamness439
Registered Member
OS
Yes, as a matter of fact, in "general" it was set to "every 10 minutes" so I changed it to "never". Though I haven't heard it speak the time in over a week, I did something last week to turn that off, but now I can't remember what I did. Now I'm going to restart the computer.

Michael F. Chamness
618 - 2nd St.
Montpelier, ND 58472
(701) 489-3638
chamness439
Registered Member
OS
Hey! I think that did it! Since restarting the computer, the widget has not appeared, its been running successfully for about ten minutes now without the thing appearing and shutting down the desktop. Such a simple thing, too. It must have automatically set itself when I first loaded the KTTSD program. Thanks for all your help, and your patience. I was sure I was going to have to wipe the hard drive again and reload everything.

Michael F. Chamness
618 - 2nd St.
Montpelier, ND 58472
(701) 489-3638