This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

What is happening in KDE Multimedia?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
arquerodefuego
Registered Member
OS
Hello.

A few days ago I wrote a post about KsCD and Amarok that suddenly stop to play audio CD's, and I was told it was an issue related to audiocd KIO.

Today, I have tried to play an avi file in two machines (a PC and a laptop), and Dragon Player and Kaffeine do not show image nor play audio. I have installed SMPlayer, and it works perfectly.

I use Debian Testing/Sid.

BTW, Konqueror and Rekonq crashs ramdomly; two weeks ago, both of them worked perfectly.

Am I the only one with these troubles?
google01103
Manager
dragon player and kaffeine both use xine-lib as their back end so that would be a place to start looking, fyi smplayer uses mplayer as it's back end

you don't mention things like if you updated any files or whether kaffeine ever played avi files

have you tried running either player from a konsole? if not try it and see what the error messages are when you try playing the avi file

ps - you should try be a bit less generic with you post title, something like "can't play avi files in kaffeine or dragon" and the random crashes should be in a separate thread, definitely not under graphics and multimedia

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

arquerodefuego
Registered Member
OS
Thanks for your answer.

I didn't try to get a solution, but to know if other people have the same issues. That was the final question in my post.

But I'll tell that xine, as standalone, works perfectly, Kaffeine and Dragon Player used to work well until some days ago, and the troubles are not related just with avi files but with all video files such as mpg or mkv.

And I didn't want, either, an answer for the issue in Konqueror and Rekonq (as I am more used to use Iceweasel), but to point out that in a few days 6 KDE apps have stopped to work. I like a lot KDE, but I am not a fanatic, and if the tendency is this one, maybe I will consider to switch to GNOME although I prefer KDE apps.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
This certainly sounds like a cache has become corrupted.

Please log out of KDE, ensure that all KDE applications are closed, then remove /var/tmp/kdecache-$USER and log back in again.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
arquerodefuego
Registered Member
OS
Thanks for your suggestions.

I did it, but everything is as before. In fact, Rekonq seems even more unstable. And the same happens with other users in the PC. One of them, "Others", is used almost never (it was created for friends, if some day they need to use my compueter), so it will be very strange that kdecache-others was also corrupted.

I am very confused: yesterday, my couple could not see any avi file in his laptop, but today he can.

But it does not matter: it seems, then, that all those are issues related with my PC, as nobody else has the same troubles, Maybe I will do a fresh installation.

Again, thanks for your time.
Kryten2X4B
Registered Member
OS
arquerodefuego wrote:I use Debian Testing/Sid.

Maybe that's the problem? It's called testing for a reason.

And as far as the audio problem goes...I've had that problem before. That is, amarok refused to play something that xine as a stand-alone would play. I don't know what caused it but at that time I fixed it by just renaming the .xine directory and logging out and in again. A new .xine directory is created as soon as xine starts playing something if one doesn't exist.

OpenSUSE 11.4, 64-bit with KDE 4.6.4
Proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
arquerodefuego
Registered Member
OS
But I have a similar installation in a laptop and there dragonplayer and kaffeine work well (although some days ago don't).

KsCD and Amarok have a problem with KIO audiocd; at least, that was what Mamarok told me.