This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

system message reg. audio device - how do I get rid of it?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
screwdriver0815
Registered Member
OS
Hello folks,

I have a question, which is some kind mixed: Audio and messaging system. I hope that it is okay to post it here...

Everytime I start up my system, I get the message of the KDE messaging system: "the audio device "" does not work, falling back to "intern Audio analog stereo".

the sound works anyway.

But I do not have any audio device which is called "". I just have one audio device in my Laptop. And this is the "intern Audio analog stereo".

I had a look into the KDE system settings and also in here I just have one device: intern Audio analog stereo. So I also can not delete any device, or set it down priority wise.

so my first question is: how can I bring KDE to the "conclusion" that there is just one audion device, so it does not need to bring up this message?

the 2nd question (in case the first is not answerable): I remember that in an earlier version of KDE I could switch off messages like this. But in the notification plasmoid I can not edit anything. And in the system settings --> messages I can not find any option which leads to "messages regarding audio devices"...

I would be very thankful for any help and any hint

thank you very much in advance
Steffen
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Please try removing the following files outside KDE:
/var/tmp/kdecache-$USER/libphonon/hardwaredatabase
$(kde4-config --localprefix)/share/config/phonondevicesrc
$HOME/.config/kde.org/libphonon.conf

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
screwdriver0815
Registered Member
OS
thank you very much for your answer.

bcooksley wrote:Please try removing the following files outside KDE:
/var/tmp/kdecache-$USER/libphonon/hardwaredatabase
$(kde4-config --localprefix)/share/config/phonondevicesrc
$HOME/.config/kde.org/libphonon.conf

I removed /var/tmp/kdecache-$USER/libphonon/hardwaredatabase and $HOME/.config/kde.org/libphonon.conf - the other one I could not find. What does $(kde4-config --localprefix) mean (I am just an "average" user...)?

I restarted the system now, but the message comes up again. So I think I need to delete the 2nd file too. But I can't find it...
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
If you simply run the following command in Konsole, the file will be located automatically, and removed

Code: Select all
rm $(kde4-config --localprefix)/share/config/phonondevicesrc

KDE Sysadmin
screwdriver0815
Registered Member
OS
okay, thank you!

I removed now all the files, but after a restart, the message came up again.

do you have any other ideas?

I also remember that in earlier versions of KDE 4 (maybe it was 4.2 or 4.3) you could choose which messages should be shown. This way I also switched off such messages ("audiodevice....") in the past (because I couldn't figure out how to solve the problem)
But I also can not find this option anymore. In the system settings there isn't such an option anymore for this kind of system messages... is this option removed in KDE 4.4.5. Is there any other option to switch this message off?
--> its just a thought - healing the symptom instead of the reason... >:D

Thank you
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Unfortunately I don't know why these messages are appearing. One other thing to check for is Pulseaudio however.

KDE Sysadmin
RussianNeuroMancer
Registered Member
OS
screwdriver0815 wrote:do you have any other ideas?
You need to not only remove this files, but also clear ".pulseaudio" folder in your home directory.