This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

No sound control with 5.1 digital

Tags: no, sound, 5.1, digital, nvidia, control no, sound, 5.1, digital, nvidia, control no, sound, 5.1, digital, nvidia, control
(comma "," separated)
Red_Comp
Registered Member
OS

No sound control with 5.1 digital

Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:54 pm
Hi,

I've been searching around for a fix but I can't seem to find anything that works. I know this has to be something to do with KDE since GNOME and Windows work fine. I am using a NVidia integrated sound card for my 5.1 digital surround, but the only control I have over my sound is the ability to mute, and that is only while running the sound test in the multimedia settings. If I try to watch a youtube video, for example, I have no sound at all. I know that nothing is muted, and pulseaudio is not installed, I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not. I'm not sure if this is the exact forum for this, but any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

680i SLI
GeForce GTX 260
4 GB RAM
Intel Core 2 Quad @ 2.4 GHz
660 GB HD space
Linux Mint 9 KDE RC / Windows 7 / Ubuntu 10.04
OCZ StealthXStream 700W
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Have you tried using KMix? With regards to Flash, you may need to close all other applications that use audio in order to allow it to play sound, as it may be dependent upon Pulseaudio. ( simply starting a Flash video then checking for pulseaudio in the process list will likely reveal it to be running )

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Red_Comp
Registered Member
OS

Re: No sound control with 5.1 digital

Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:34 am
I am currently using KMix, but I found that pulseaudio wasn't installed so I did "sudo apt-get install pulseaudio" to install it. I haven't been able to get sound from a Flash video still, though. I'll try looking for pulseaudio in the process list when I run a video. I have a feeling the lack of sound might have something to do with whatever is causing my lack of sound control based on some other forums I've seen but I'm not really sure.

680i SLI
GeForce GTX 260
4 GB RAM
660 GB HD space
OCZ StealthXStream 700W
Red_Comp
Registered Member
OS

Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:49 am
After installing pulseaudio I rebooted and I still don't have any sound for Flash and still no sound control. I ran a "ps -ef" and got
Code: Select all
USRNME     2032     1  0 07:45 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/pulseaudio --start --log-target=syslog

while playing a flash video.

680i SLI
GeForce GTX 260
4 GB RAM
660 GB HD space
OCZ StealthXStream 700W
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Which backend do you use in Phonon? Xine is recommended, and may require the installation of a libxine1-pulse package in order to properly use Pulseaudio.

KDE Sysadmin
Red_Comp
Registered Member
OS
I am using Xine, and I couldn't find libxine1-pulse in my software manager but I did find a meta package that wasn't installed so I installed it (libxine1-all-plugins). I tried playing music through Amarok, and I can get it to play just fine but I can only control the volume through the volume controller in Amarok. If I try using kmix the only thing I can do is mute. Moving the slider up and down with my keyboard or by hand in kmix doesn't do anything. I still don't have sound with Flash either.

680i SLI
GeForce GTX 260
4 GB RAM
660 GB HD space
OCZ StealthXStream 700W
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
In KMix, try selecting an alternate channel for Master. Right Click on KMix icon > Select Master Channel.

KDE Sysadmin
Red_Comp
Registered Member
OS

Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:16 pm
I have, and no matter which channel I try I can't seem to get sound or control over my sound.

680i SLI
GeForce GTX 260
4 GB RAM
660 GB HD space
OCZ StealthXStream 700W
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Can you control your sound by running "alsamixer" in a terminal? Use the arrow keys to switch between and manipulate controls, and escape to exit.

KDE Sysadmin
Red_Comp
Registered Member
OS

Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:00 pm
No, changing volumes in alsamixer doesn't do anything either.

680i SLI
GeForce GTX 260
4 GB RAM
660 GB HD space
OCZ StealthXStream 700W
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
You'll need to ask someone more familiar with configuring ALSA unfortunately, as the fault is in ALSA rather than KDE.

KDE Sysadmin
Red_Comp
Registered Member
OS

Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:07 pm
Okay, I will. Thanks for the help anyways.

680i SLI
GeForce GTX 260
4 GB RAM
660 GB HD space
OCZ StealthXStream 700W
phil_r5150
Registered Member
OS
You might want to check your kernel too. I've had a similar issue with sound over my gfx card HDMI - get video, no audio but works on Windows. Kernel 2.6.35 and/or alsa-lib 1.23 might just give you what you need. I'm on 2.6.33 and it's a pain to update on Fedora because they haven't packaged it yet.

It's worth a shot.
Red_Comp
Registered Member
OS
I'll try those, see how it goes. Thanks.

680i SLI
GeForce GTX 260
4 GB RAM
660 GB HD space
OCZ StealthXStream 700W