This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Kmix always crashes when I want to change settings

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
usgs
Registered Member
OS
I have the sid version of kmix, v. 4:4.4.5-1. I'm trying to get Skype to work. This requires adding a bunch of new channels to kmix. So I've added the channels and want to see which 'Mono output select' and which 'Mic select' will allow Skype to carry my voice to someone I call via my computer. [At the moment I cannot record in Skype a test call. I hear nothing in playback of that test call message.]

I cannot pick a different setting in kmix's 'Mono output select' nor in 'Mic select' because when I do, kmix immediately crashes. So I now wonder if there's some file I can edit to make these changes thereby bypassing the gui kmix. If yes, which file would I edit? Is it /home/usgs/.kde/share/apps/kmix/profiles/ALSA.Intel_ICH5.1.Base.xml or is it some other file?

Here's some info for you on my system:

- from output of inxi -F:

Audio: Card Intel 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller driver Intel ICH at ports d800 dc00 BusID: 00:1f.5
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.21

- from output of lspci:

00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)

[The sound electronics are by Intel and are integrated into the motherboard.]

My Linux OS is sidux (version 'hypnos')
My kmix is v. 4:4.4.5-1

Thanks
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Please try moving the contents of ~/.kde/share/apps/kmix/profiles/ elsewhere whilst KMix is closed, as they may be corrupted.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
usgs
Registered Member
OS
bcooksley wrote:Please try moving the contents of ~/.kde/share/apps/kmix/profiles/ elsewhere whilst KMix is closed, as they may be corrupted.

Thanks for the help bcooksley! I'll do the move tomorrow. [I'm currently using a different Linux computer.]