This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Maybe a solution for crossfading

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
mafal
Registered Member
OS

Maybe a solution for crossfading

Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:38 am
Hi Folks,
here is some code for crossfading with phonon. The author (dwelch) said he had success! I've seen this on:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2878521/crossfading-audio-with-pyqt4-and-phonon

He said:
"I'm trying to get audio files to crossfade with phonon. I'm using PyQT4. I have tracks queuing properly, but I'm stuck with the fade effect. I think I need to be using the KVolumeFader effect. Here's my current code:"

and tries this code:

def music_play(self):
self.delayedInit()
self.m_media.setCurrentSource(Phonon.MediaSource(self.playlist[self.playlist_pos]))
self.m_media.play()

def music_stop(self):
self.m_media.stop()

def delayedInit(self):
if not self.m_media:
self.m_media = Phonon.MediaObject(self)
audioOutput = Phonon.AudioOutput(Phonon.MusicCategory, self)
Phonon.createPath(self.m_media, audioOutput)

def enqueueNextSource(self):
if len(self.playlist) >= self.playlist_pos+1:
self.playlist_pos += 1
self.m_media.enqueue(Phonon.MediaSource(self.playlist[self.playlist_pos]))
else:
self.m_media.stop()

but without success. And the he answers later:

"Seems I found the solution I was looking for. Although it's not supported by every phonon backend, setting the MediaObject's transitionTime with a negative number will crossfade."

What do our developers think about it? Is it worth a trial?

greetings mafal
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Re: Maybe a solution for crossfading

Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:50 am
I don't know. Also I would suggest he actually asks on the phonon-backends mailing list, he might get more answers, Stackoverflow is not exactly the location to ask the Phonon developers :)
I will reassign this thread to Multimedia, as it is not Amarok specific but Phonon.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
Harvey
Registered Member
OS
Forgive me for insisting, but this is not backend-related as far as I understand the quote from stackoverflow. The user there has managed to crossfade with existing phonon and its backends!

If this is true amarok programmers can go that way too... I think this is surely worth a peek of an experienced amarok-programmer.

I think this is perfectly amarok-related.

Harvey
mafal
Registered Member
OS
Hi Harvey,
I affiliate with you and hope that an programmer would assume this code and think about a solution to programm it in amarok for crossfading songs.
One big commendation for that woman/man... ;)
mafal